Damn Damn Damn

Xascent
Xascent Posts: 9
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
HI
New here and new to cycling, just getting interested in the sport as a cross training platform for my running, but have got so caught up in all the chat and advice, I can't wait to get a bike! Beginning to think I should have done it years ago.
So usual newb question, which bike?
Was all set to go get a Triban 3 from Decathlon as they are so recommended by many, but decathlon just told me they discontinued it! Damn,damn,damn missed out! The replacement isn't a patch by the look of it, even the staff there didn't rate it. How could they do this to me. Seems daft to have a winner product and replace it with a lemon.
So anyone know where I could look next? I am on a tight budget unfortunately having lost my job.
Thanks

Comments

• danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    2nd hand Triban? Lots of people have bought them & they are rated highly but because of that there are plenty around. Are a good bike to start with, the only issue is a lot of people have them as a first bike then upgrade & keep the older bike as commuter or winter bike so you might find it hard to locate a good one.

Check the for sales sections on BR and see if any come up.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Xascent wrote:
    HI
    New here and new to cycling, just getting interested in the sport as a cross training platform for my running, but have got so caught up in all the chat and advice, I can't wait to get a bike! Beginning to think I should have done it years ago.
    So usual newb question, which bike?
    Was all set to go get a Triban 3 from Decathlon as they are so recommended by many, but decathlon just told me they discontinued it! Damn,damn,damn missed out! The replacement isn't a patch by the look of it, even the staff there didn't rate it. How could they do this to me. Seems daft to have a winner product and replace it with a lemon.
    So anyone know where I could look next? I am on a tight budget unfortunately having lost my job.
    Thanks

theyve discontinued it but that doesnt mean they arent available, get the decathlon chap to check nationwide stock - i know for a fact there are at least ten on display in edinburgh at the moment, as i write
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    They have discontinued it because the new model is coming out :)
    The 3a now comes with microshift rather than 2300 , nowt wrong with them.
    The new 5a looks to be the bargain though as it
    has the new 9 speed sora without the thumbshifters for £399
    linky to another bike radar thread with links to the bikes...
    viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12909451
    FCN 3/5/9
  • Xascent
    They have discontinued it because the new model is coming out :)
    The 3a now comes with microshift rather than 2300 , nowt wrong with them.
    The new 5a looks to be the bargain though as it
    has the new 9 speed sora without the thumbshifters for £399
    linky to another bike radar thread with links to the bikes...
    viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12909451
    The Triban 5A does look like a good second choice, I would have bought one but they stopped making it in my size! 63, so might be a risk to buy and regret it being bit too small later on, but maybe I will, I was told by the decathlon guy that it's easier to make a small bike bigger but not vice versa. By the way they just put the price up! £429.
    Have you any experience with microshift? Done a internet search and not too many positive comments around.
  • Xascent
    theyve discontinued it but that doesnt mean they arent available, get the decathlon chap to check nationwide stock - i know for a fact there are at least ten on display in edinburgh at the moment, as i write[/quote]

Checked. nothing anywhere my size, 63 even if their was they were unlikely to transfer to my local shop.

Any ideas for alternative brand ?
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    [quote="Xascent"
    Have you any experience with microshift? Done a internet search and not too many positive comments around.[/quote]
    Yes i have used microshift and as an entry level groupset they are fine, they have a more positive click rather than the soft feeling you get with shimano 2300 .My LBS actually had never seen them till i took a bike in with it and they said they liked it.
    The paddle under the brake lever works for the down shift on the right and a little lever you can reach from the hoods or drops on the outside does the upshift if i remember rightly.It has been a couple of years since i had the bike with them on as i sold the bike to make room in the fleet for a newer bike.
    A pro team uses microshift , they might be a sponsor but they would not use it if it did not work well enough.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gallery/articl ... e-35050/23
    FCN 3/5/9
  • Xascent wrote:
    theyve discontinued it but that doesnt mean they arent available, get the decathlon chap to check nationwide stock - i know for a fact there are at least ten on display in edinburgh at the moment, as i write

Checked. nothing anywhere my size, 63 even if their was they were unlikely to transfer to my local shop.

Any ideas for alternative brand ?[/quote]

did he check the computer in front of you~? because he is talking crap - i was in decathlon earlier and as i say loads, if you want ill go and check if your size is there, any excuse really :wink:
  • animal72
    animal72 Posts: 251
    On the plus side, if you need a bike that big you should be able to find some old-stock in one of the big sellers at a big discount. Get your fingers going, and good luck.
    Condor Super Acciaio, Record, Deda, Pacentis.
    Curtis 853 Handbuilt MTB, XTR, DT Swiss and lots of Hope.
    Genesis Datum Gravel Bike, Pacentis (again).
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc, 105 & H-Plus-Son.

Mostly Steel.
  • Xascent
    Xascent wrote:

Any ideas for alternative brand ?

did he check the computer in front of you~? because he is talking crap - i was in decathlon earlier and as i say loads, if you want ill go and check if your size is there, any excuse really :wink:[/quote]

Yes they had a few smaller ones scattered around the country but no 63 sizes, and yes the guy checked in front of me. Where abouts are you if they are in stock there ?
  • Bustacapp
    Bustacapp Posts: 971
    Get a Virtuoso from Halfords.