Discs

Rippedabs123
Rippedabs123 Posts: 69
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I have been out on the trails today and like half way through my ride my disc brake stopped working, it has no power at all and the lever comes back to the bar.
The brake is a tektro auriga comp hydralic disc brake, front.
Amy ideas as what to do?
road: carrera tdf ltd 2012
xc: gt avalance 1.0 2008

love cycling :)

Comments

• 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Could just need bled, could be a seal gone. Tektro's are fairly easy to do so If a bleed doesn't work you might need a replacement hose kit.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Could just need bled, could be a seal gone. Tektro's are fairly easy to do so If a bleed doesn't work you might need a replacement hose kit.
    RESOLVED!! :)
    I topped up the fluid reservoir with car brake and clutch fluid as it was practically empty!
    It is great now and I burped them a bit afterwards to get the air out and they are great but would love to upgrade to some nice shimanos'.

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    GET IT OUT - NOW!

Tektro use mineral oil, DOT will kill the seals.....you'll need to flush it with mineral and refill and rebleed.

http://www.tektro.com/_english/01_produ ... rt=1&fid=1
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • GET IT OUT - NOW!

Tektro use mineral oil, DOT will kill the seals.....you'll need to flush it with mineral and refill and rebleed.

http://www.tektro.com/_english/01_produ ... rt=1&fid=1

Oh ru sure it will?

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Did you follow his link, or you reckon he just posts random links for fun?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    DOT will rot through conventional seals, only viton is OK with it, no need for expensive Viton if you are using mineral oil...so yes, sure....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I topped up the fluid reservoir with car brake and clutch fluid as it was practically empty!

Oooh epic fail :lol:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Did you see, and ignore, the words "mineral oil" on your reservoirs by any chance?
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Oh dear...

Maybe flush it through with some isopropanol first so no fluid lingers on the seals and rots them over time.
  • Can I use vegetable oil?

• The Rookie
    I would just chuck them in the bin now - that or throw yourself off a cliff so you don't risk hurting someone else when your brakes fail.....

Go buy some mineral oil, Citroen Hydraulic fluid is the same stuff, dirt cheap, empty what you have now and squirt lots through to flush it, and do it fast, like yesterday - theose seals are already dying....you'll need the right bleed set up to do it, can't recall what Tektro use as it's ages since I had to touch my sons.

And next time, read and check first act later!
  • Sorry if i seemed rude in this forum, im sorry bout all the hassle aswell.
    I have taken the bike down to the local bike shop and they will bleed it, flush it through and refill it with MINERAL OIL so i hope it will be ok!
    I emptied the resovior and the DOT was just sat on the top so its all gone now and hopefully it didnt get into everything much.
    Sorry!!!

• stubs
    Its okay you arent the first to do it and wont be the last :lol:

The best lessons are the most expensive and or embarrassing
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • The Rookie
    No probs, it's your bike and your money......but when people try and help, it's worth listening!
  • Yer sorry!
    But do you think the damage would already have been done?

• The Rookie
    Who knows, some DOT must have got to the seals or adding it would have made no difference, depends on how cheapskate Tektro are with the seals as to how long they will survive exposure - you'll know within a week, if they are OK after that you probably got away with it!
  • OK thank you :)
    If it has already got on the seals do i need to get the seals replaced or what do i do?

• stubs
    Might be worth sending an email to the importers and asking them for an opinion. They might also have a service kit with the seals which your bikeshop could order and fit.
  • Ok, man from the bike shop just rang me, the brake is fine and sorted out :)