Spokes, Hubs and Loading

Doomism
Doomism Posts: 17
edited April 2013 in Road buying advice
I've recently given up my old (80's) refurbed Dawes Legend racer for something more modern. The gear range and weight was a killer on some climbs.

The thing that has me stumped now is wheel sets. Most of my riding 80% of the time is purely for fitness (with no load) or light commuting, with light rack luggage. I'd also like to get away on long weekend lightweight tours too. (little more weight)

So considering that I will want to load up the bike from time to time, should I consider spoke numbers. Especially considering the state of UK roads.

Bikes I've considered so far are the Giant Defy 2, Marin Argenta Comp, Specialized Secteur.

Secteur seems to have 32s, whereas the Defy/Argenta are 24/28.

Maybe a fresh wheel build I could swap out for those light long weekend tours, or will 28s suffice?

I've considered CX bikes too, and the versatility/comfort is great, but I've been super picky with components etc, and keep getting drawn back to Endurance roadies and what they offer.

Who's rolling with luggage on 28s then?

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    WThleereally lo number of spokes will also depend on your weight. 32or36 spoke is always safe. How much load in the luggage is important too. You have not given these details. A 28 spoke wheel would be fine for lighter riders and low loads on if a deeper I'm is used but it is not rthese willecommended. for light weight road rims that come in 36H drillings like the velocity a23, h plus sons archetype, h plus son TB14, magic open pro and rims from the Ambrosio stable. All take 28mm tyres. For proper touring rims there Is the magic A319, DT Swiss TK540 or the rigida Sputnik if you are really loading the rack up.
    Most tourers go with 36 spoke wheels on the rear for a good reason and hubs like sshimano which give excellent bracing angles are used. Also proper touring wheels will be built with triple butted or single butted spokes, you the kind with 2.3mm diameter at the elbow.
    More detail from you is needed to give proper advise but you hopefully get the idea.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • cycleclinic
    to add on my spectrum which will have the child seat on the rack I will be using Rigid a Sputnik rims 36H single butted Sapim Strong spokes on Shimano 6402 hubs. The load carried will be my daughter at 15kg.

I forgot to mention your 80,s frame could be 126mm OLD. No new hubs are made to this standard anymore but shops like mine that deal with older bikes stock 126mm OLD hub sets. I currently have some XT M730 100\126mm now of course in at present for classic touring builds.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    Get a xcross bike... I am in Italy now and because the weather is still cold I brought my CX bike and I am having endless fun. You can really leave the traffic behind and discover a new dimension to your cycling. Even with touring tyres I can whizz through the woods at 20 mph... Exhilarating.
    The road behavior is not dissimilar to a road bike... The little you lose is more than compensated by the versatility
    left the forum March 2023
  • cycleclinic
    Where in Italy are you Ugo. I am currently in the Scalea at my parents house with my daughter. No bike this time but it is only a short trip.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    Ivrea... North of Turin, at the foot of the mountains
    left the forum March 2023
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Apparently the shroud is now being considered real and not fake. Intreguing stuff all that. Have you ever seen it?
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • cycleclinic
    I'm in the south at the foothills of someother mountains which I will be walking up tomorrow with my Dad (he knows the area as he lives here). At least there is a warm ball of yellow light in the sky, kind have forgotten what that was, now I rememebr it is the Sun!
  • Doomism
    Thanks for the replies thus far and apologies for not specifying weights etc.

I don't expect to carry much on a rack, other than a change of clothes and lunch for work trips. Maybe a little more for a long weekend away. As for my weight, I have no idea, but I wouldn't think of myself as that heavy. I'm 6ft with a pretty average/thin build, so I wont be weighing the bike down much.

I've actually swayed myself away from CX bikes the more I test ride. I guess I just prefer the feel of the pure roadies.

The bike shops all seem to think that 28 spokes on the rear will be fine for a reasonable load, given that the frames are made to take a rack. Although I don't want to get halfway to Paris this summer (Brighton to Paris ride) and the wheels give out halfway. I could always look to get some more solid 32 spoked babys for light touring and keep the standard wheelset for commutes and fitness.

If it wasn't clear, i've got rid of the old 80's bike and I'm on the verge of buying a new roadie. I should think 28 spokes will take a light-ish load?

Road tested Giant Defy 2/3 and Specialized Secteur today. Both felt pretty good, although leaning back towards the Giant. I've already forgotten what the Marin was like, so another visit to the LBS is due.

Also, jealous of Italian Sun! It's freezing here in the UK.
  • Doomism
    Thanks for the replies thus far and apologies for not specifying weights etc.

I don't expect to carry much on a rack, other than a change of clothes and lunch for work trips. Maybe a little more for a long weekend away. As for my weight, I have no idea, but I wouldn't think of myself as that heavy. I'm 6ft with a pretty average/thin build, so I wont be weighing the bike down much.

I've actually swayed myself away from CX bikes the more I test ride. I guess I just prefer the feel of the pure roadies.

The bike shops all seem to think that 28 spokes on the rear will be fine for a reasonable load, given that the frames are made to take a rack. Although I don't want to get halfway to Paris this summer (Brighton to Paris ride) and the wheels give out halfway. I could always look to get some more solid 32 spoked babys for light touring and keep the standard wheelset for commutes and fitness.

If it wasn't clear, i've got rid of the old 80's bike and I'm on the verge of buying a new roadie. I should think 28 spokes will take a light-ish load?

Road tested Giant Defy 2/3 and Specialized Secteur today. Both felt pretty good, although leaning back towards the Giant. I've already forgotten what the Marin was like, so another visit to the LBS is due.

Also, jealous of Italian Sun! It's freezing here in the UK.
  • cycleclinic
    Look the Tifosi's I do come with Miche wheel which have 28 spokes on the back. these frames have rack mounts. now while for an 80kg rider carrying say 7kg load total including rack the wheels will be fine and should give good life. A 100kg rider carring a 7kg load in total may start to encounter problems (after while) as those 7kg are not taken in any way by the front wheel so it is abit like putting a 112kg rider on the bike and no rack/load.

Ultimatley you will be fine for a while but as the miles pile up you eventually pop a spoke sooner than if you carried no load. At that point you can replace the wheels. It maybe a while. If you were starting from scratch you would probably pick a 32 spoke rear wheel but you are not so don't worry too much, you won't die as result.

If you have a dealer near you look at the tifosi bike the CK7 in particular. These have proper rack mounts and proper mudguard mount with full length mudguards. Useful if it your only bike.
  • Doomism
    The CK7 looks like a better option than a lighter alu roadie now. I think robustness is a key part of what I'm looking for, without compromising weight too much and also, without forking out for a Ti frame! :/

I was recently introduced to the Kinesis custom builds that can be done at my LBS, so I am currently looking into that. That way, I can get the heavy duty wheels I need and look to get something slicker and quicker during the summer for fitness rides. The Kinesis also takes mudguards and 28mm tyres, which is great for an all year bike.

I understand 28 spoke wheels, if done well can last and carry a decent load, but off the peg on a standard bike, I'm not sure I trust them. I think I got a little carried away looking at quick and nimble racers for speed and lightness and completely forgot what my needs actually are! But anything has to be lighter and quicker than my old 80s racer. :)