Wheel Upgrade from Easton EA50 Aero's

supermurph09
supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
More than happy with my Cube Agree GTC Race for now but inevitably I'll be looking to upgrade bits in the future. Wheels always seem to be the most talked about upgrade, as from all the comments I see you do feel the difference. I had a quick scan around to see what value my wheels were, approx, £200/100 rear/front, so £300 ish.

Without breaking the bank what sort of wheels should I be looking at that would make a noticeable difference? Planet X seem a popular choice. Appreciate some opinions on wheels that would be a good upgrade. I'd imagine I'd need to be looking at around £500?

Finally, anything else on the bike that you think would be worth upgrading.
Thanks

Comments

• Lecutus88
    Lecutus88 Posts: 5
    Hi

I just picked up this post as I was searching for recommendations to upgrade from the EA50 Aero. My bike is also a GTC Race, 2013 model year, and the wheels, having only covered some 1800 miles, have started giving me problems in the form of excess noise from the free hub.

I am given to understand that this is a non user-serviceable part and worse, has now been discontinued. Zyro appears to be the main reseller in the UK and they cannot get them either.

To my questions, then; is my understanding correct vis a vis these wheels? If so, what would be your recommendation for swapping? I read some of your blog and you do ride at a much higher level than I - I do about 110 unscientific miles per week although am pleased to have just completed the Castle to Coast to Castle charity ride from Lincoln, some 100 miles.

Your blog does show your Cube is now shod with wheels other than the OEM Eastons - what did you go for and are you happy with them?

Here's hoping you still monitor such an aged thread - keep up the great work mate!

Kind regards

Neil
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Hi Neal

You're in luck. Around June 2014 I swapped out the original Eastons for some Planet X 52mm carbon clinchers which you have seen on those pictures. These wheels were a great upgrade and at that time I was using the cube to do local 10 mile Ttime Trials so having something a bit more aero was useful.

Around October time of the year I was doing a hill climb event and it was extremely windy so having seen the Eastons sit in the shed for 5 months I put them back on. As I was doing a hill climb something went wrong with the rear wheel which was eventually diagnosed as a hub issue. As you point out these wheels were discontinued but as the bike was still within the 12 months warranty period I took it back to the shop I purchased from and they said they'd have to send the wheel back to Cube. I actually sent the wheel back in January 2014, brand new wheel was sent back to me in May this year all fixed.

So excellent service from both my LBS and Cube. My advice is if it's still in a warranty period take it back if you are having problems with it. However, be prepared for a long delay! I've still got the cube but also have a Canyon now, the cube is an excellent bike though, which was improved by the PX wheels.

Regards
  • Lecutus88
    Thank you for your full and prompt reply! The Cube is fast approaching 12 months old but as the free hub is still (technically) working, I am not sure I could exercise a warranty claim just yet. Also, being without a wheel (and, therefore, a bike) for 3 months is unconscionable during the summer months! I think I might just wait it out and then try my luck with servicing it somehow, whilst at the same time investing in some new wheels as an upgrade AND a replacement.

On that note, could you recommend a decent set of lightweight hoops for one such as me, and bearing in mind the "entry level" nature of the GTC Race Carbon frame? I suspect there is no point in putting Zipp 404's on that!

I weigh about 82kg and as my average speed is usually about 18mph, I am not sure full Aero would be of benefit either but you clearly have far more experience than me so perhaps you could point me in the right direction?

Kind regards and best wishes

Neil
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Lecutus88 wrote:
    Hi

I just picked up this post as I was searching for recommendations to upgrade from the EA50 Aero. My bike is also a GTC Race, 2013 model year, and the wheels, having only covered some 1800 miles, have started giving me problems in the form of excess noise from the free hub.

I am given to understand that this is a non user-serviceable part and worse, has now been discontinued. Zyro appears to be the main reseller in the UK and they cannot get them either.

To my questions, then; is my understanding correct vis a vis these wheels? If so, what would be your recommendation for swapping? I read some of your blog and you do ride at a much higher level than I - I do about 110 unscientific miles per week although am pleased to have just completed the Castle to Coast to Castle charity ride from Lincoln, some 100 miles.

Your blog does show your Cube is now shod with wheels other than the OEM Eastons - what did you go for and are you happy with them?

Here's hoping you still monitor such an aged thread - keep up the great work mate!

Kind regards

Neil

Dude, Easton freehubs are no different from others. Open the end caps, pop the freehub off, give it a wipe and put some fresh oil on it and it will become quiet again.
    Moving parts need lubrication and maintenance cannot be replaced by a warranty
    left the forum March 2023
  • Lecutus88
    Thanks for your input. The end cap / fresh oil routine has been done twice but the inners are apparently a sealed unit and you have to squirt WD40 into the gaps where you find them. This is not the same as being able to service / replace the bearing I suspect, although I am not at all a technician here!

I appreciate your help though, and will continue to use the wheels until the service chap I use says that he can do no more, at which point I will need the advice I originally asked for on this thread! :D
  • ugo.santalucia
    Lecutus88 wrote:
    Thanks for your input. The end cap / fresh oil routine has been done twice but the inners are apparently a sealed unit and you have to squirt WD40 into the gaps where you find them. This is not the same as being able to service / replace the bearing I suspect, although I am not at all a technician here!

I appreciate your help though, and will continue to use the wheels until the service chap I use says that he can do no more, at which point I will need the advice I originally asked for on this thread! :D

Well, if you squirt WD40, that's a good way to send the freehub to the graveyard prematurely. If it has a sealed "shimano type" freehub, the best way to lubricate it is to immerse it in an oil bath for a few hours. Never use degreasing products on bearings, unless you can take them apart, wipe the stuff away and relube, which is not your case. When the freehub is dead, hopefully Easton provide replacement freehubs. It is a consumable.
  • Lecutus88
    My local bike shop used WD40 I believe, as did my bike guy. Easton no longer make these wheels and Zyro (the main reseller in the UK) are not able to sell me a replacement. The free hubs are apparently a weak point on Easton's from what I have read in other posts, so maybe moving to a different brand, with fully replaceable parts, won't be a bad idea.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    edited June 2014
    The clue is in the name WD = Water Displacement. WD40 is for cleaning muck out and drying out components which then need to be re-lubed with a suitable product (usually grease or oil depending on component/use).

Personally, I keep WD40 miles away from my bike as it causes far more problems then it ever solves.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Lecutus88 wrote:
    The free hubs are apparently a weak point on Easton's from what I have read in other posts, so maybe moving to a different brand, with fully replaceable parts, won't be a bad idea.

Typical. They sell you the shit and then they hide their hands. You can have the rim rebuilt on a different hub, if it's worth it.
    Otherwise, post a photo of the freehub in the workshop section... I am positive Easton buy their hubs from the far east and you might be able to find the same stuff with a different name
  • Lecutus88
    Thanks again for your continued help!

As the wheel is currently "working" and I am not handy enough to disassemble it myself, I will continue to use it until it needs "servicing" again (without WD40 this time) and then will probably take a photo or two to see what can be done insofar as getting a replacement is concerned
  • birdie23
    birdie23 Posts: 457
    FWIW the wheel warranty period should be 2 years not 1.

I have a Cube Agree GTC which came with Easton wheels. After 13 months a spoke tore through the rim on my rear wheel. Bought new wheels (EA50s as it happens) and then found out about the warranty. Took it back to the shop in November, they sent it off to Cube and I waiting a very long time before getting a brand new wheel the other week (not the same so I now have a non-matching spare set of wheels :evil:)
    2012 Cube Agree GTC