Tyre query. Help Please.

Tricep
Tricep Posts: 4
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and pretty new to road cycling. I was inpecting my rear tyre today and noticed a pretty deep looking nick in the tyre. I have attached a pic and wondered if anyone can advise if I need to replace said tyre. Thanks in advance. Great forum by the way.

Comments

• Replace. It's the tyre not the inner tube, so that's the protective bit. Replace.
    Felt z95 - loving my first road bike
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Looks like something's still in it to me.

I'd probably keep it. Maybe wrap a strip of toothpaste tube round the inner tube in that area to bolster support.

On the other hand, I spend £30 on a tyre so I'm fairly keen to get as long a life out of them as I can.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    If moneys not a problem replace, if it is, a tyre boot and replace when you have funds
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Tricep
    Thanks for the input everyone. I've been looking at these as a replacement. What does everyone think?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-lugano-road-tyre

Budget is a concern and these seem to get good reviews for the price.
  • Hawmaw
    Hawmaw Posts: 124
    I had Schwalbe Lugano on my old winter bike and I couldn't fault them , great tyre for the money .
  • Tricep
    Thanks for all the help people. I've opted for the Schwalbe. The blue will go nicely with my decals, lol.
  • James Q
    James Q Posts: 201
    They look a good tyre, you'll have to let us know what there like and the delivery times as i'm tempted by these my self.
  • I switched from Vittoria Zaffiros to Schwalbe Luganos a couple of hundred miles ago and so far I've been impressed by them. They seem grippier than the Zaffiros, and I definitely noticed they weighed less when I switched them over (although the Zaffiros were 28's and the Luganos are 23's, so that obviously had some bearing).