First ride on the turbo trainer

Fil6914
Fil6914 Posts: 74
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
Got the kona and the trainer set up in a very cold conservatory put my cycle shorts on and all the other kit apart from the helmet and did a steady 45 minutes following a YouTube video http://youtu.be/Q3AELRhB8YA which was great for my first ride.

Things to do next time, put the video on the big screen tv not just the iPad as this would make it that bit more "there"
Put everything in reach TV controls music controls etc
Make sure you have a drink and an energy bar, I didn't need one this time but an hour plus ride these would be required I was just starting to get hungry by the end
Even though it was cold I soon worked up a sweat so a towel is vital, and lastly make sure you go to the loo first as cold room equals toilet stops lol

Other than that it was very enjoyable and can't wait for the next one

Phil
Road - Giant Defy 0
Road - carrera virtuoso
MTB - Kona cindercone MTB 1997

Comments

• fearby
    fearby Posts: 245
    If it was enjoyable you are doing something seriously wrong.
  • get one of those sweat cathers you fit to your stem and seat post, i didnt initially and it caused me headset bother - ie sweat leaking in = mucky - didnt think about it at first but its worth investing in ( :oops: schoolboy error) - also get one of those plastic disposable baby mat things for the floor to catch the sweat too, well handy and keeps her indoors happy too
    must admit i love going on the turbo, no traffic, no wind, no stopping
    but nothing beats the road
  • Fil6914
    Lol just a newbie mate so not pushing too hard just yet. I need time in the saddle to get my backside hardened up, my first ride out on Sunday , just 7 miles in freezing windy conditions, was halted because of the pain so working on that first the rest will come including the not enjoyable sessions
    Phil
    Road - Giant Defy 0
    Road - carrera virtuoso
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    You too have found a use for a conservatory in the winter.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Check out some of The Sufferfest downloads. One more thing, I don't think you should eat an energy bar if you're only doing 45 minutes, I'd doubt it would have time to kick in for you to feel the benefits. If you're anything like myself its probably a mental thing. Just hydrate properly and maybe eat a banana 30-45 minutes before you start.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    I agree with making sure you have eaten, and therefore have energy before doing exercise. You should normally have enough in the tank for about 90 minutes of exercise though.

Eating a slow release energy bar during exercise will replace the energy expended just in time for when you finish, which could then be a good time to replace your lost energy, but probably best to eat quicker release carbs within 30 minutes after exercise to restock muscle and liver glycogen this combined with protein (a good old cheese sandwich perhaps) will help muscle repair/growth, the glucose added to your system immediately after exercise will be absorbed into your muscles and liver and not stored as fat.

Not sure how you managed to do 45 minutes on a first attempt, I only managed 10 minutes first time I tried one :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    No need to buy a sweat net, just drape a small towel over the headset and top tube.

I'm finding mine invaluble again as it's aiding my recovery from my second hip-op in 10months. Can't wait for a proper bike ride though.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Fil6914
    Thanks for the nutritional info it will be a great help as I get faster and longer.

Another 45 mins at 8am this morning, backside very painful but hopefully another 5-6 rides and things should start feeling better

Phil
    Road - Giant Defy 0
    Road - carrera virtuoso