Youth hostelling - Book in advance?

JackPozzi
JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
edited March 2013 in Tour & expedition
I'm getting bored of doing the same routes at weekends so thinking of boosting my range by riding out to somewhere on a Saturday and then back on the Sunday. Would be looking to keep it as cheap as possible so thinking mainly youth hostels for the overnight stops. I have however managed to reach the age of 35 without ever using a hostel so a bit unsure how they work, can you just turn up and ask for a bed or is it advisable to book in advance? Ideally would like to keep my options fairly open, and just head off in a general direction until I want to stop rather than going to a specific place....

Comments

• I would look up the hostels you are considering in advance online just to get an idea of their popularity. Then on the morning of the day you plan to reach them phone up to check for availability. I'm assuming you're happy to stay in bunk rooms as these are the cheapest and I've never been in one that's more than half full in the Lake District,northern Scotland and east anglia.
    Definitely the best way to cycle tour, cheap and always great people at the hostel
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Thanks, best start researching some hostels now, mainly looking for places a day's ride from essex, without having to go through London, so south and east coastal areas... Weather could do with picking up a bit as well :(
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Firstly I don't know much about the hostels in the Essex area so my views are more of a generalisation. Probably best off is to become a member for a year (Tip - buy the Scottish youth hostel membership - it's cheaper by far - and it's world wide membership). There used to be a (unwritten?) rule that a hostel must find a bed/bunk/mattress for any member arriving unexpectedly - not sure if it's a myth though. I'm a life member of the Scottish youth hostel, if you're not a member you usually pay £2 per night more.

The SYHA website usually has a "check availability" function for each hostel. Also, there's also Independent hostels and bunk houses.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4