Scottish Bike Show Sportive 2013. Vanished?

I wanted to check if the sportive was still taking entries but the page for it on the Bike Show website now says "We cannot find the page you are looking for, please click here to go to the homepage."

I've looked at Pennine Events page for May 5th http://www.pennineevents.co.uk/B2B/DiarySummary.aspx?dcvd=05/05/2013 but clicking on the link just takes me to the page above.

It's not listed on http://www.entrycentral.com either.

It was all working before. Website glitch or has something happened to the organisation of the event? If nobody here knows, I'll have to email Pennine.

Focus Cayo Expert (road)
Giant ATX 970 (full susp)
Trek Alpha 4300 (hardtail)
Peugeot 525 Comp (road - turbo trainer duties)

Comments

• Garryboy
    Garryboy Posts: 344
    Looks like the sportive has been cancelled, dunno why
  • dindi_boy
    dindi_boy Posts: 24
    It's been cancelled. I had entered and got an email yesterday to say it was cancelled due to reasons out with their control ... whatever that means. Shame.
  • Thanks for the (bad) news. They could at least have posted that on the websites.

I was very much hoping to do it this year as I missed last year's. Particularly galling as it had clashed with a weekend I was hoping to have my girlfriend to visit but she couldn't make it, leaving my weekend free to do the sportive. Gutted. :(

I hope the reason for the cancellation will be made known, and whether the sportive will return in future.

Focus Cayo Expert (road)
  • I forgot to check the Facebook page:
    Unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond our control we have had to cancel SBS Sportive this year. It has been a very hard decision to make, however we would like to draw your attention to the Robert Millar Sportive on 22nd June.

"It has been a very hard decision to make" :? So it was their decision to cancel, rather than it being forced on them, from that wording. It suggests they could have gone ahead in some form or another but that they decided it wasn't in their interests for some reason. Funding withdrawn, insurance issues, perhaps something connected to the changes in the police set-up in Scotland with all the forces combining from April 1st?

Focus Cayo Expert (road)
  • From the facebook page:
    ...for us SBS Sportive won't be going ahead this year at all...

Still no direct answer to questions asked, and I'm not sure what they mean by "for us" unless the rights to run it have been taken away from the organisers for some reason? :?

Focus Cayo Expert (road)