Advice plz on Bib tights with good padding...

Dom McCormack
Dom McCormack Posts: 22
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
Hi, I'm in need of some new padded Bib tights. I've only been cycling since January and so only have one pair, some DHB Vaion Roubaix which are serving me well.

The problem is this. Currently I'm managing 45-50 mile rides but in 4 weeks I'm doing a 300 mile - 4 day charity ride. I need a second pair just in case it rains and at the moment only have experience of the padded DHB's.

I'm wondering whether in the £40 - £60 range whether there are better alternatives, specifically tights that offer a pad that may offer more support and comfort over 70 miles than what I have at the moment.

Thanks for any advice.

Dom

Comments

• Jon_1976
    Jon_1976 Posts: 690
    I had some Sportful Giro 2 which were pretty good, they were about £50-£55 iirc. I've currently got some Campag Force ones that are slightly better (imo) but were about £70 odd
  • Strith
    Strith Posts: 541
    Problem is that what people recommend as comfy might not suit you. I can say of all my bibs my pearl izumis are the comfiest, and my gore bibs the worst, but both out of your price range.

Do you use chamois creme, this I find makes a big difference. Not everyone does, but worth a try if you've not already.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    Strith wrote:
    Problem is that what people recommend as comfy might not suit you. I can say of all my bibs my pearl izumis are the comfiest, and my gore bibs the worst, but both out of your price range.

Do you use chamois creme, this I find makes a big difference. Not everyone does, but worth a try if you've not already.

I'm the other way round...Gore the comfiest and pearl not so ! just proves which fits one dont always fit another ! try before you buy O.P.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    If you have shorts with a pad that are comfortable you are better off getting unpadded tights to wear over them.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Strith wrote:

Thanks for all the replies.

No, I don't use chamois cream, although was reading up on it yesterday and subsequently went commando for the first time yesterday! (just for a session on a turbo). Before that, as a beginner, I've been wearing underwear coz it seemed the right thing to do as my initial thoughts are that the pad is there just for comfort.

I understand after reading up that there's other reasons to just wear the tights on their own and so may invest in some chamois cream and start using it before the event. Slightly going off the topic, does the chamois creme prevent the numbing / slight discomfort I start to get after 45 miles in the saddle or does the creme just prevent chaffing and skin sores?

The reason I'm looking for alternative suggestions to the DHB Vaions is purely that I have no other experience of how much better a pad can be compared to what I have at the moment.
  • Strith
    Strith wrote:

Thanks for all the replies.

No, I don't use chamois cream, although was reading up on it yesterday and subsequently went commando for the first time yesterday! (just for a session on a turbo). Before that, as a beginner, I've been wearing underwear coz it seemed the right thing to do as my initial thoughts are that the pad is there just for comfort.

I understand after reading up that there's other reasons to just wear the tights on their own and so may invest in some chamois cream and start using it before the event. Slightly going off the topic, does the chamois creme prevent the numbing / slight discomfort I start to get after 45 miles in the saddle or does the creme just prevent chaffing and skin sores?

The reason I'm looking for alternative suggestions to the DHB Vaions is purely that I have no other experience of how much better a pad can be compared to what I have at the moment.

Generally chamois creme doesn't stop numbness, that's more likley to be down to saddle/position/pad choice. It's more to reduce sores, but for what you're planning it would be worth trying, and always go commando.

Small adjustments to saddle angle may help with your numbness. But I wouldn't make any big cahnges eg saddle or anything now as you may not adjust to it in only 4 weeks. Wen you're out on the bike move around a bit and get off the saddle regularly to help circulation and minimise your numbness.

Assos chamois creme is the daddy imo, but I'm now making my own as it's costing me a fortune. I will report back once I have good recipe.
  • Jon_1976
    Cant do the commando thing, I have to wear gruds :oops:
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    @Jon_1976 ........MTFU, you will reap the benefits if you do.
    Cycling weakly
  • skyd0g wrote:

What are the benefits exactly? Less sweat equals less skin irritation?
  • Jon_1976
    skyd0g wrote:

:lol: lol thanks. Guess I'm too much of a prude
  • Strith
    Cycle bib shorts are designed to be worn without underwear and to be smooth and seam free around your sensitive bits. Wearing underwer can introduce seams or folds that can cause rubbing and sores. Trust me its the only way if you want to spend long hours in the saddle.