Sticking 105 caliper

munzy
munzy Posts: 111
edited March 2013 in Workshop
The rear 105 calliper on my bike is sticking and has trouble returning to open after I pull the lever.

I have removed the brake cable and it still sticks on, as I 've had this trouble before and it was bunged up cables.

Have tried dropping some oil into the pivots but reckon I need a full strip down to get calliper cleaned and lubed.

Does anyone have links to pics or description for this? I already have the Shimano tech exploded view.

Comments

• WD40 first to release, dry, the lube.

Should do the trick.
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • ellj22
    ellj22 Posts: 122
    Although not a guide to striping this will help with setup after.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... ke-service

As for striping it its as easy as taking apart, cleaning, polishing up rough surfaces, lightly re-greasing contact surfaces and reassembling in the same order it came apart. Loctite (weak or mid strength) if your worried about bolts rattling loose but I wouldn't loctite the grub/set screw as you may strip the thread. Take photos or use tech docs to ensure reassembly is correct. You know if you've over tightened something as that pivot wont run freely. Takes 5-20mins.

If I haven't got time for that then throwing it in really hot water with de-greaser can help, then use some water displacer and re lube. Making sure to keep brake pads clean.
  • edten
    edten Posts: 228
    I had this the other week on a rear chorus brake caliper. I just gave it loads of gt85 and went at it with a toothbrush to clear all the crap out and wiggled it about a good while then lubed the pivot points. Working fine now.
  • like above, a good squirt of gt85 or similar, wiggle it about a bit and get stuck in with a toothbrush and it should free it up - had to do this to my ultegra calipers last weekend and this sorted them.
  • munzy
    munzy Posts: 111
    Thanks for all the tips guys - ate some brave pills and stripped it down, cleaned and re-greased. Working like new now :)

I was scared of dealing with the spring but was straight forward enough.