Scared of the dark...

robbo8989
robbo8989 Posts: 42
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
I have to admit, even after cycling for several months now I'm still very reluctant to ride in the dark. Unfortunately, I'm not often home at the weekend and the bike is hardly getting used because of it. I've decided I'm going to start riding a lot more in the evening so I can get the miles in which means I'm looking for a few tips with night riding.

Do people treat night riding any differently (where you ride, what you wear, what you take) or is it more a case of just turning the lights on and riding like normal?

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    edited March 2013
    Not sure where you live but the option of some time on a night ride under streetlamps always makes it less of a real chore. My evening rides are usually a couple of hours at most but i can do about 45 mins of that under decent streetlighting if I plan the route right. That means I can ride a bit faster and concentrate less, saving my alertness (and max light) for the pitch black of the country when I need it.

Next up, get a decent light set. There isn't a shortcut really and expect to spend about £100 for a decent front light for country riding and then spend some time getting the pitch right. I always have a rear reflector for my night time rides. I figure that I cannot always see my rear light and a reflector gives me some confidence that I will be seen even if the rear light has failed. Another tip for me is not to worry too much about high vis, but use high vis where it counts. Hence, I wear a reflective strip around my right wrist (so hand signals against traffic can be seen) and I always wear a strip around my right ankle (moving reflection is very effective). Also, take a cheap spare front light just in case your main one fails. Having a light in your pocket is also handy for fixing punctures (or a helmet/head light works well).

Keep your arms loose, there is a greater chance of hitting a pothole so be prepared to ride it. Worth putting a few extra PSI in your tyres to help protect against snakebites. Other than that, get out and ride. I don't know why but a lot of my PBs are set midweek at night which shows you can ride fast and enjoy it.

Finally, thought about a club ride? A lot of clubs ride through the week, throughout the year and there is a great feeling of safety in numbers. The lighting also aggregates so the visibility is much better but you will need to be more aware of half-wheeling, IME.
  • dannyharris
    dannyharris Posts: 217
    I commute in the dark. As long as you can be seen there isn't a lot to worry about. I tend to find other road users give you more room.
    Depending on visibility will depend on your ride. Potholes are my worst enemy in the dark. Bad enough avoiding them in the daylight let alone at night.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    As others have said - good lights with a good spread. Suss out a route with as much street lighting as possible and stick to the same route so you know where the holes are.
  • ellj22
    ellj22 Posts: 122
    If I'm by myself at night I stay to roads I know well. I stay away from really small country lanes as if you have an accident you may struggle to get help. Like always I carry my phone, driving license and credit/debit card in case things go wrong (blood group is not a bad idea if you know it). Its worthwhile riding on roads your friends and/or other half know in case you need picking up.

As for the riding itself its just like normal and usually quite nice as there is less traffic and usually less wind in the evening. Bare in mind if you need to stop for any reason, i.e puncture you will get cold faster than in the day, so easy to access tube and CO2 a good idea.

It can take a bit of getting used to night riding as you will find modern white LED lights give poor depth perception and it can be harder to spot bad road surfaces. Just make sure you are well lit and your lights are pointing at a courteous level. The only common annoyance I find is car drivers rarely dip their lights early enough and can temporarily blind you, but you get used to this and looking away at the right time.
  • nmt
    nmt Posts: 88
    I'm new to road bikes only been riding for a couple of month but due to the missus working a lot of weekends and me having the kids I've been doing more riding at night on quiet unlit country lanes, As Bob said you need to concentrate more on the unlit roads but I absolutely love it. I use 2 rear lights a cateye LD1100 and a rapis 5 which I set in pulse on the front a bought a Lezyne mega drive it's a great light but it will only last for 90 mins of full power.

Just get out and ride and try and get used to it but I think you will find it easier on a route with very little traffic (That's if you have any in your area)
  • Jon_1976
    Jon_1976 Posts: 690
    Quite a bit of my cycling is at night at the moment. I dont mind it in the slightest as the reduction in traffic is always nice. Unfortunately, accessing some of the nicer routes means going on some unlit country roads. Its the inability to see pot holes from a farther distance that worries me more than other road users.
  • £100 for a light?!

Just get one of these; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cree-XML-XM-L ... 2ec3e8e2c6

I rock one of these and its great; blinds drivers, foxes, small children, lost tramps etc.

Also picked up a smart lunar set front and back - front for a spare more than anything.
  • nmt
    £100 for a light?!

I rock one of these and its great; blinds drivers, foxes, small children, lost tramps etc.

Also picked up a smart lunar set front and back - front for a spare more than anything.

I was told that either 1000 lumen (or over 1000 lumen) is illegal on the road not sure if that's right or not :?:
  • Jon_1976
    Jon_1976 Posts: 690
    £100 for a light?!

I got my brother in law one of those (or something very similar) for mountain biking. Really good for the money, only downside is the size/weight of the battery.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    £100 for a light?!

Was just about to recommend one of these !
    I train after work so its dark the whole time...AND I ride through London !
    Street lights do make quite a difference but theres nothing like a bit of total darkness riding...love riding through Epping forest when its pitch black and I got one of those lights on full chat :D
  • Strith
    Strith Posts: 541
    nmt wrote:
    £100 for a light?!

I was told that either 1000 lumen (or over 1000 lumen) is illegal on the road not sure if that's right or not :?:

I've no idea if thats true or not either, but it wouldnt bother me in the slightest, just buy the best lights you can afford and be considerate to other road users.
    Those ebay things are good on unlit roads if you're on a budget. Generally the expensive lighs from known manufacturers have better optics.
    In big cities most lights tend to blend into the background so just assume drivers etc can't see you at all.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    British Summer Time starts on Sunday.

For when it is dark I'd recommend something like the Philips SafeRide which can light your way without blinding drivers.
  • turnerjohn
    Strith wrote:
    nmt wrote:
    £100 for a light?!

I've no idea if thats true or not either, but it wouldnt bother me in the slightest, just buy the best lights you can afford and be considerate to other road users.
    Those ebay things are good on unlit roads if you're on a budget. Generally the expensive lighs from known manufacturers have better optics.
    In big cities most lights tend to blend into the background so just assume drivers etc can't see you at all.

nothing here to say theres a limit https://www.gov.uk/rules-for-cyclists-59-to-82 :D
  • nmt
    I did say I wasn't sure if it was true or not but yeah your right no mention there But it says you MUST have a rear reflector !! even if you have a rear light ? didn't know this as I don't have one
  • thegibdog
    The relevant rule is

You MUST NOT use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders
  • turnerjohn
    thegibdog wrote:
    The relevant rule is

You MUST NOT use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders

well your not going to point the light at them so I guess that base is covered :D

I'm guessing that is more to do with kids pointing lights at people etc
  • robbo8989
    robbo8989 Posts: 42
    I live in the Colne Valley near Huddersfield so it's a choice of towards the town centre on well lit busy roads, the opposite direction along unlit quiet roads or very steep climbs out of the valley. I tend to avoid the steep climbs (though I will hopefully start giving them a go soon!) so I'm left with two very different sets of night riding conditions.

In terms of lights I have a Smart Lunar 35 lux front and 1/2W rear. The rear seems bright enough but I am considering getting a cheap rear to have on flashing mode as a backup. Obviously with not doing much night riding, I haven't tested the lights out properly but maybe someone on here will know if they are adequate? I definitely don't want to be spending anywhere near £100 on a single light (or even a set!).

My clothing tends to be mostly black so would it be worth getting something like a high vis jacket/gillet to throw over for the night rides? Great advice on the wristbands, I hadn't even considered someone might not be able to see my hand signals.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Know your route. Most people ride the same routes all year round so know every pothole, corner and camber.
    Post your route. Leave a marked map at home and stick to the route.
    Lights x2 + a working lamp (headlamp) if needed. Dynamo hub lights are excellent and never run out of battery.
    Carry a small phone on your person, not the bike.
    Use light-coloured tools (yellow taped) so you can find them in the dark.
    Carry spare insulation and maybe a power bar.
    Protect your dark adaption. After 20mins you really don't need much illumination but if a car comes towards you, close one eye.
  • thegibdog
    turnerjohn wrote:
    thegibdog wrote:
    The relevant rule is

well your not going to point the light at them so I guess that base is covered :D

I'm guessing that is more to do with kids pointing lights at people etc
    I'm pretty sure it covers all road users.

Back on topic, I'd agree with what other have said about using a route that is familiar to you, so you get to know the roads and the hazards on them. No matter how good your lights are you won't be able to see potholes as easily as you can in the daylight.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Hope District on the rear and I generally get more room from cars. Then 3m tape on the frame and guards really highlights the bike in headlights.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I've commuted on the bike through the winter - my main concern was being seen. I had up to 3 lights on the back - glad I did as one fell off (clip broke) and another failed on one ride ... I have mudguards on and used reflective tape on the back, also I wear a reflective water/windproof jacket as it helps against the cold too.

On the front I mostly used a Cateye Nano Shot+, yes its a lot of money, but I wanted something I could rely 100% on ... and to be fair to it it has been superb - mostly used at 1/2 power but occasionally on full when the terrain demands it. The few times I used it at full power on the main roads I had cars dipping their beam before they came around the corner into view ... :)
    Again I had a backup light - nowhere near as bright, but works well as a "see me" light and bright enough to get me home.

I found that vehicle drivers give more room in the dark .. :)
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Hi viz doesn't work at night, reflectives are much better for being seen by drivers. My tyres (Schwalbe Marathon) overshoes and tights have scotchlite trim.

You don't need to spend £100 on a front light, but you usually get what you pay for. If you are going to ride on unlit roads then I'd spend a fair amount or you'll only wish you'd spent a bit more. A well made light will last a few years and your life is more important than saving a few quid.

After 3 years Fenix LD20 the Lezyne Power Drive gives more confidence on lanes, and I don't need to use full power. The Mini Drive is £25, though it only lasts an hour on full power - not ideal for long night rides in the sticks but the lower settings are plenty for streetlit areas. On the back a Cateye LD600 is great and I carry a pair of Electron Backupz in case either stops working.

As others have said, start with roads you know, there's less to worry about. As the nights are getting lighter now perhaps you'd find it easier to start in daylight and ride into the dusk rather than start the ride in complete darkness. Is there anyone you can ride a couple of times with to build your confidence?

Edit: both lights discontinued at CRC :( the XL versions have been tweaked, I'd buy one even though they cost a bit more.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    Lots of good tips on here and I agree with Simon above, hi-viz is pointless at night, it's all about the reflective bits. The clothing I wear at night is black, but shine a light on me and I look like Tron. Only about a fifth of my winter route is in the city, the rest of it is on pitch black back roads, but that can be fun as there have been nights when I haven’t been passed by a single car in 20 miles.

One tip – watch out for wildlife!

Current set up is:

Front - Lezyne Power Drive XL on the bike and a Lezyne Mini Drive on my helmet - great for shining at oncoming drivers to make them aware you're there and it helps to add a little forward light too.

Back - Lezyne Micro Drive on daylight flash (very bright) and then a Knog Boomer fixed to my jacket on turbo flash.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I do a lot of riding at night, all on country lanes. Wildlife and potholes are the biggest hazards. Still using the lights I bought 4 years ago; Fenix LD20 on the front and a cateye TL1100 on the rear. Both use 2 x AA rechargeables; in the Fenix I have 2900 mAh NiMH ones from 7dayshop, which last about 90 mins / 25 miles in these temperatures. Rear light has Eneloops so they don't self dischearge. Used in flashing mode I only have to recharge them once a week.

Reflective bits on my overshoes, bibtights, softshell, helmet. Drivers seem to give me a lot more room at night than in the daytime...
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    Last winter I rode home from work in the dark and it didnt really phase me. However, one night I remember cycling along the A38 coming and ahead of me I could see someone in a dark coat standing in the layby. Not thinking anything of it, when i got to the layby there was no one there and it wasnt my shadow as there are no street lights and there was no cars around.

Anyway it wasnt until a couple of months after that when someone told me how that stretch of road is haunted by a hitchhiking ghost. Obviously i got all goosebumps when they told me.

http://ghosts.org.uk/ghost/3134/haunted ... erset.html
  • Phil_D
    Phil_D Posts: 467
    What I would like to add is if you'll be missed when you die, plan your route and let that special someone know where you are going. If you don't come home they will at least know where to look.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Phil_D wrote:
    What I would like to add is if you'll be missed when you die, plan your route and let that special someone know where you are going. If you don't come home they will at least know where to look.

I would do that for daytime rides too ...
  • Mystique
    Mystique Posts: 342
    Slowbike wrote:
    Phil_D wrote:

I would do that for daytime rides too ...

Day or night, I always carry ID with an emergency contact number too (OneLife ID Band)