Roehampton Gate Opening Times

JimboPlob
JimboPlob Posts: 397
edited March 2013 in Commuting chat
I tried to cut through RP the other day at around 6.40am and the gate was locked. It said opening at 7am. A little lady arrived on the other side with a key, but said she could not let me in..

Does anyone know if the pedestrian gates are always locked at this time?

Thanks

Comments

• tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Was it the pedestrian gate or the vehicle gate that was locked?

Outside the deer cull (which finished a few weeks ago), the pedestrian gates are supposed to be open 24/7. I frequently ride through Roehampton Gate when the main gates are shut, and I've never known the pedestrian gates to be locked (outside the cull).
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • JimboPlob
    TGOTB wrote:
    Was it the pedestrian gate or the vehicle gate that was locked?

Outside the deer cull (which finished a few weeks ago), the pedestrian gates are supposed to be open 24/7. I frequently ride through Roehampton Gate when the main gates are shut, and I've never known the pedestrian gates to be locked (outside the cull).

Thanks

It must have been in the cull then. Everything was locked up.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    If I recall correctly, the cull typically runs from the first Monday in Feb for 4-6 weeks, and then again from the first Monday in November for 4-6 weeks, so the gates should be open for the next 7 months. The cull is pretty well signposted from around a week beforehand.

Outside the cull, I've ridden through the park as late as 1am and as early as 5am without any issues.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • northstar
    northstar Posts: 407
    The gates are open 24/7 except for culls as said above for pedestrians and cyclists.

If you can remember what this lady looked like I'd report it to the royal parks as the gate should not have been locked and she should have opened it unless she had good reason not too (which it seems she didn't).
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • JimboPlob
    northstar wrote:
    The gates are open 24/7 except for culls as said above for pedestrians and cyclists.

If you can remember what this lady looked like I'd report it to the royal parks as the gate should not have been locked and she should have opened it unless she had good reason not too (which it seems she didn't).

It was very strange. It must have been during the cull because a sign said the gates would open at 7am. She appeared on a bike, unlocked a padlock. I tried to wheel my bike in the gate she opened and she said I cant let you go in, and quickly locked it.
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    JimboPlob wrote:
    It was very strange. It must have been during the cull because a sign said the gates would open at 7am. She appeared on a bike, unlocked a padlock. I tried to wheel my bike in the gate she opened and she said I cant let you go in, and quickly locked it.

Did she have a rifle slung over her shoulder? More likely, though, it was someone who lives in the park (Princess Alexandra? a ballerina?), or works there