What size hardtail frame?

dantuft
dantuft Posts: 20
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hey i was wondering what size hardtail frame should i buy, i am roughly 5' 9" so would you recommend a 16.5" frame or a 18.5" frame?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes, one of those, other factors like top tube length (eefective not measured), setback or inline seatpost, stem length and style and width of bars all come into it, before you even add in personal preferance.

5'9" myself, I ride a 16" Carrera and Canyon's online sizer software puts me on a 16.5" Canyon. but on another bike an 18/18.5" may be better.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dantuft
    Yes, one of those, other factors like top tube length (eefective not measured), setback or inline seatpost, stem length and style and width of bars all come into it, before you even add in personal preferance.

5'9" myself, I ride a 16" Carrera and Canyon's online sizer software puts me on a 16.5" Canyon. but on another bike an 18/18.5" may be better.

Yeah the bike i was looking at was the Canyon Yellowstone AL 5.0
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    So have you fed all your dimensions into the sizing software, if so what does it suggest?

Buying smaller is safer than buying bigger.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dantuft
    So have you fed all your dimensions into the sizing software, if so what does it suggest?

Buying smaller is safer than buying bigger.

yeah it says to buy a small (16.5"), thanks.