Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB buying advice

What size hardtail frame?

dantuftdantuft Posts: 20
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hey i was wondering what size hardtail frame should i buy, i am roughly 5' 9" so would you recommend a 16.5" frame or a 18.5" frame?

• The RookieThe Rookie Posts: 27,777
    Yes, one of those, other factors like top tube length (eefective not measured), setback or inline seatpost, stem length and style and width of bars all come into it, before you even add in personal preferance.

5'9" myself, I ride a 16" Carrera and Canyon's online sizer software puts me on a 16.5" Canyon. but on another bike an 18/18.5" may be better.
    Current steed - Whyte T129, 2013 frame, mongrel Revelations, Giant dropper, Stans S1 wheelset. 12, Magura Trail Sport brakes, 1x11. 12.8Kg
  • dantuftdantuft Posts: 20
    Yes, one of those, other factors like top tube length (eefective not measured), setback or inline seatpost, stem length and style and width of bars all come into it, before you even add in personal preferance.

5'9" myself, I ride a 16" Carrera and Canyon's online sizer software puts me on a 16.5" Canyon. but on another bike an 18/18.5" may be better.

Yeah the bike i was looking at was the Canyon Yellowstone AL 5.0
  • The RookieThe Rookie Posts: 27,777
    So have you fed all your dimensions into the sizing software, if so what does it suggest?

Buying smaller is safer than buying bigger.
    Current steed - Whyte T129, 2013 frame, mongrel Revelations, Giant dropper, Stans S1 wheelset. 12, Magura Trail Sport brakes, 1x11. 12.8Kg
  • dantuftdantuft Posts: 20
    So have you fed all your dimensions into the sizing software, if so what does it suggest?

Buying smaller is safer than buying bigger.

yeah it says to buy a small (16.5"), thanks.