Sektors - oil from air valve.

ste_t
ste_t Posts: 1,599
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Just had a Sektor rl delivered that I have purchased second hand from another mtb forum. I tried to compress them just to see if there were any obvious problems, but were too firm so had to let some air out.

When I did so, some oil came out of the valve along with the air. Is this a sign that there is something seriously wrong?

All looked to be fine apart from that.

Cheers

Comments

• Plyphon
    Plyphon Posts: 433
    That happens quite a lot, I believe it even says so in the manual.

It's normal behavior, although it might not happen every time, all the time.

It is not a sign that something is wrong at all :)
  • ste_t
    Fair enough, cheers for that.
  • maringirl
    maringirl Posts: 195
    There is some lube oil in air side so when you depress it willl come out - best to put a rag over when letting air out so it doesn't squirt into your eyes.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Probably made worse by the fact that they have been in all sorts of positions due to shipping/storing.
    ie, for the top air valve, as long as the bike has been stored upright, not much should usually come out. But for the bottom valve, should always turn the bike upside down and leave it for a few mins to let the oil settle before letting air out/adding, again to minimise loss.

This is what i've always found with the various air/dual air forks i've used.
  • ste_t
    maringirl wrote:
    There is some lube oil in air side so when you depress it willl come out - best to put a rag over when letting air out so it doesn't squirt into your eyes.

Sounds like the voice of experience! All good now.