All change for the CiCLE Tour

jimmythecuckoo
jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
Just had an email saying there are some changes afoot to the Discover Rutland CiCLE tour sportive next month.

Starts and finishes at Rutland Water now and has a slightly different finish to that brutual last 5 miles up to the transmitter before dropping back into Oakham.

There is now more of a southerly loop back via Morcott through Luffenham so its still not easy to get back to the finish. All distances have increased ever so slightly to reflect the new routes.

Comments

• munkster
    munkster Posts: 819
    Anyone else doing this? Should there have been any further information by now?

My first sportive and wondering whether "Event Instructions" on the organiser's website being blank is something I should be concerned about?!
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Wouldn't worry too much.

I'm registered and have received the route change email. I did this event last year under the old sponsor and IIRC the "Event Instructions" were emailed out a few days before the date.

However, I am still waiting for info about the parking facilities. The car parks at the Giant outlet are run by Anglian Water and they normally charge £3 per day. I think the organisers were trying to arrange some alternative or perhaps negotiate a dispensation from Anglian Water.
  • munkster
    Nice one cheers, will look out for an email then I guess!
  • martyh
    martyh Posts: 32
    looking to do this on Saturday. Does anyone know if the GPX files are correct. Thanks
  • Slacey
    Slacey Posts: 78
    I believe the one linked from the website is correct, it certainly starts from the new location.
    Freelance Journalist
    ex-Team Cycling Plus 2011
    Three Boardmans and a Spesh,
    numerous test rigs
  • ContrelaMontre
    ContrelaMontre Posts: 3,027
    I'm doing this for first time on Saturday. What's the setup with feed stations like? How often and how well stocked are they? Obviously I'll plan to carry as many supplies as possible, but it's nice to know when I'll be able to fill up my bottles at least.

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • munkster
    On http://www.itpevents.co.uk/event-instructions.html it says...
    The feeds are at Knipton (long route 30 miles) and Owston (all routes, 24 miles short, 37 miles medium, 65 miles long) where food, water and sports drink will be available.

I'm doing the medium one this weekend, first ever sportive, everyone I've spoken to about it has said it's a good one so I'm really looking forward to it.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    I'm doing this for first time on Saturday. What's the setup with feed stations like? How often and how well stocked are they? Obviously I'll plan to carry as many supplies as possible, but it's nice to know when I'll be able to fill up my bottles at least.

Hi there

Did this event last year and the organisation was very good. Only did the short route and as a result can only comment on the Owston feed station. Well stocked and no problems with topping up bottles etc. Change of sponsor this tear but hopefully that won't be detrimental.

Last year's weather was pretty awful with rain starting fairly early on an continuing throughout. That meant some tricky descents with standing water and mud/debris. Forecast for Saturday is good but it will be cold 1st thing so be prepared.
  • ContrelaMontre
    munkster wrote:
    On http://www.itpevents.co.uk/event-instructions.html it says...
    The feeds are at Knipton (long route 30 miles) and Owston (all routes, 24 miles short, 37 miles medium, 65 miles long) where food, water and sports drink will be available.

I'm doing the medium one this weekend, first ever sportive, everyone I've spoken to about it has said it's a good one so I'm really looking forward to it.

Thanks, I hadn't spotted the event instructions - the website is a bit ropey. I am also doing the medium. Have done a sportive before but this will probably be the biggest in terms of participation. Excited about it!

• pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    How did you chaps get on? Weather looked good...
  • ContrelaMontre
    How did you chaps get on? Weather looked good...

Really enjoyed it, weather and route were brilliant. My personal time wasn't great, but that was mainly because I was riding as part of a three and we took it quite easy and took a long break at the feedstation. We didn't get off to the best start as one of my partners punctured about 4 metres after crossing the start line!! On the plus side this meant a proper repair could be done in the shop rather than attempting it roadside, but it still added about ten minutes on to our time.

I decided to 'go for it' for the last 30km and felt awesome. Normally at that sort of point your legs are starting to get a bit weary, but I'd never felt better. I was overtaking everyone else who was starting to flag. Final time was a few minutes under 5 1/2 hours (Strava moving time was about 40 minutes less). And my colleagues came home about 20-30 minutes later.

Very tempted to come back and do it again next year and ride at a higher pace all the way round and not stop for quite so long.

Also, if the weather is the same I'll try not to forget the sunscreen next time!! Burnt thighs!!

• munkster
    Similar kind of experience for me really (minus the puncture!). Having never really ridden more than 50 miles before, 74 made me slightly nervous but kept it turning and got back in 5h24m although did wait for my (admittedly injured) riding buddy for about 15-20 mins here and there. Strava tells me I was moving for 4h55m which I am pretty happy with for a first sportive, and there were some quite steep climbs along the way (Launde Abbey a personal fave!!).

Will probably do it again next year as long as they can order in the (absolutely stunning) weather again. Organisers! Take note! ;-) :-D
  • ContrelaMontre
    Once again took part in the medium route Cicle at the weekend. Not quite as enjoyable experience for me this time round. For starters, they didn't book the decent weather we had last year! Started out pretty early at just after 8:30 and the first 40km went well riding at my own pace, but often with other riders. However, as I'd started quite early it turned out all the people I had been riding with were doing the long route so when the routes split I was on my own.

I then completely missed the feedstation at Sewstern; I wonder now if that's because I got there so early (c. 10:00) and no-one else was there. I had to really ration my drink as I'd only brought one bottle. Rehydrated and refueled after Owston but the riding was pretty tough from then on, mainly due to the headwinds and lack of anyone to ride with.

After Hallaton I followed my computer sat nav to take the Blaston road, but there was a sign missing and everyone else ploughed straight on. I continued until I found the next arrow and then stopped to call the organiser to let him know of the missing sign. Continued on to the finish, working on/off with one other guy, but it was a tough run in with the strong winds.

Finished in a total time of 5 hours 1 minute. Didn't think that was very fair as I would've ducked under 5 hours if I hadn't stopped to call the organiser about the missing arrow and it turns out by ignoring that turn everyone else took a 4km shortcut anyway!! Could've saved myself 15 or 20 minutes had I taken that shortcut and not stopped! Where's the justice!

Enjoyed my pie and peas though at the finish and then rode 40km back to my in-laws into that headwind!!

To be honest I still enjoyed it. Just miffed about missing the first feed stop and that arrow missing meaning my time was not quite as good as it could've been.

• pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    I did the 60 mile route with my work colleague and his missus but rode out there and home again afterwards so 115 miles in total on the day for me. Just under eight hours saddle time, with the Fred fast approaching I was happy to do that and not have any 'comfort' issues. Always like riding in Rutland, there were a few new bits I've not done before and rode home in the sunshine with a cross/tailwind so after the early rain a good day out.