155 width saddle

Simmo72
Simmo72 Posts: 262
edited March 2013 in Road buying advice
Thoughts anyone?

I’ve had back pain & hip pain issues brought on years ago involving a freak accident with an inexperienced rider who could not get the concept of clipless pedals! There is no quick fix and I have tried many thing including professional expensive fits with little success. I have come to the conclusion that I am just a freak and probably shouldn’t be riding a bike, but I’m also very stubborn so I shall keep on persevering.

Next idea is to try a wider saddle. According to the specialized bg fit I should be on a 143 saddle, which is what I use. The romin saddle I have is relatively comfy, but I am wondering if a 155 width version might provide me with a more stable platform. I am doubting the specialized fit, if I follow their guide and raise my saddle the suggested extra 2cm (or even a bit) it overloads my back to the point where I can’t ride more than 10 miles. Whilst BG fit is fine for someone ‘normal’, it does nothing to help me…..goodbye £200, I shall stick with what my body tells me, not what is fundamentally KOPS and a formula based on a degree of bend in the leg.

Does anyone have any experience of what riding a wider saddle could do, I don’t know if it’s worth a go, my theory is a wider saddle provides a more stable platform. I used to ride on an old rolls which is quite wide so I know I can fit on it ok, the rolls was comfortable but it’s not firm enough and allows my hips to rock, hence rock hard 155 romin is my next plan.

Does anyone ride a 155 despite being told 143 is right for them.

Many thanks.

Comments

• bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    Worth noting that Specialized revised the data on saddles in so much if you ride a saddle such as the Romin in 143, you would now be advised to ride a 155 based on how it rotates the hips. The BG saddle sponge has the new sizing on the back. I am moving from a 143 to a 155 to test though I stress that I have been riding a 143 romin for years and love it with no issues.
  • Simmo72
    Simmo72 Posts: 262
    Very interesting, thank you. Do you know when they revised these calculations? So are they saying if you are already on 155, do you need to attach a small armchair for extra width?
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    Simmo72 wrote:
    Very interesting, thank you. Do you know when they revised these calculations? So are they saying if you are already on 155, do you need to attach a small armchair for extra width?

No. They did release a 168mm to accommodate the wider sit bones out there though. Looks like a table tennis bat but undoubtedly works for those that need it.