Brake Pads

skyblueamateur
skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
Any recommendations for the best pads to be using in this weather? Want something that won't pick up any grit if possible but also okay to use all year round?

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Anything soft enough to actually stop you will pick up some foreign bodies.

Anything hard enough not to pick up foreign bodies will be unlikely to stop you.

I know which way round I am going :-)

Just get into the habbit of checking and cleaning as necessary.

FWIW - Normal recommendations of the masses are Koolstops and Swiss Tops.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Or even Swiss stops !
    New Blue bxp or the previous best Green for premium. Black for standard harder ones.

(For alu rims)
  • dawebbo
    dawebbo Posts: 456
    Just remember to regularly clean them and pick out any flecks of aluminium - otherwise you'll get poor performance and that horrible scraping sound.
  • smidsy wrote:

FWIW - Normal recommendations of the masses are Koolstops and Swiss Tops.

Just having a look at these. Is there significant shortening of life with the softer (salmon?) ones? I like the idea of as good a braking performance as possible, but don't want to be changing brake pads every 5 minutes.
    2015 Specialized Tarmac Expert Ultegra
    2016 Focus Mares CX Ultegra
    2016 Specialized Stumpjumper HT Comp Carbon 29
    2012 Boardman Road Race 105
    2013 Specialized Hardrock Disc
  • antikythera
    antikythera Posts: 326
    I'd recommend the Koopstop full salmon for the most dire of weather, they will wear "quicker than some" but the confidence in braking is worth it. Mind you I just change my last set after 9 months of constant use (100Km a week). If you want to go half-way Koolstop also have a half/half (black/salmon) pad.

I only put the upgraded pads on the front. See Sheldon Brown's article for an explanation. And, I use the cost effective pads (Koolstops) for commuting and the posh stuff (Swissstops) for the fast/competitive rides.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Also the more you neded to change pads the less you need to change rims.

One has to be abraded more than the other and I would opt for the pads every time.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Didn't think of it like that. Makes sense! :)
  • sedente
    sedente Posts: 8
    kool stop salmons cheap and cheerful and are absolutely brilliant in the wet
  • Jon_1976
    Jon_1976 Posts: 690
    +1 for kool stops. Bought a set that included 2 sets of pads (salmon and dual compound salmon/black) and 2 holders for about £18. A pair of pads can be had for about £9. Both types were excellent.
  • Thanks guys, just ordered some salmon kool-stops. Looking forward to the increased braking performance. Shame they are an awful colour!
  • rjkflyer
    rjkflyer Posts: 85
    I'm just trying the Swiss Stop Blue new ones - seem to squeal pretty badly - any other experiences?

Yes, I can toe them in a bit, but the Campag originals didn't have this problem. Maybe give them a bit longer...?
  • pride4ever
    pride4ever Posts: 510
    You need soft compounds if you want to stop and if your running carbon rims or basalt to be exact youl need creme cheese blocks lol.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.