New Jacket - Gore Oxygen ?

Bigbud
Bigbud Posts: 39
edited April 2013 in Commuting general
I know it's been done to death but I'm looking for a new jacket, have been using my Aldi special for 2 years and I need a new one :D . My commute is every day but only 10 miles both ways but I do work hard and as a result get hot !

I was looking at the Gore Oxygen but I'm worried i'd get too hot and wondered if I'd be better off getting something lighter that will go in my bag but its not gore-tex http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pea ... t-ec027175

Anyone use the Oxygen or could you suggest something waterproof, light weight (would be nice to go in jersey pocket) and breathable :mrgreen:

Bud

Comments

• shamrock134
    shamrock134 Posts: 714
    I have a Gore Oxygen jacket, the one made from Windstopper Softshell, not the new "active shell" or whatever. Best bit of kit I've owned so far, especially when I got it on sale for £60.

I've used it every day on my commute this winter with just a base layer and use it on cold weekend rides. It is an outer layer and not something you'd be able to take off and put in a pocket. Offers great protection from wind, has been pretty much waterproof in anything less than 30mins of heavy rain exposure and is warm. It has plenty of pockets on the rear and the cut is slim.

I "work hard" on my commute and it can get a little clammy on my back as I wear a rucksack too. It is quite breathable however, I'd say above 10C it might be a bit too warm. I also have a light, packable gore-tex waterproof but that rarely gets any use unless it's guaranteed to be pouring it down.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    The Gore Oxygen is the stone-cold nuts. I've done 2 200km audaxes in mine this month and I was bone dry. On the rainier of the two a quarter of the field were wearing it.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Bigbud
    Bigbud Posts: 39
    Cheers for the replys guys :) Does sound good so will pick one up :D Now Which Colour :lol:
  • I have the White 25th anniversary special gore tex version - really fantastic jacket, superb fit. Love all the gore gear, its bullet proof and so comfortable.