1st ride..

Keith47
Keith47 Posts: 158
edited March 2013 in The cake stop
...since my operation 3 weeks ago to correct the Haglunds deformity in my heel. Chose the MBSO ( mountain bike shaped object! :D ) because although it's as heavy as a tank it has much lower gearing and I was worried about being clipped in. Did 5 miles, didn't get out of the granny gear, but it was so good to be on a bike again, out in the fresh air, sunny ( but bitterly cold) and although a bit uncomfortable on my heel I would have done more but was thwarted by saddle soreness!!! :lol: Looking forward to the day I can use the road bike again.
The problem is we are not eating food anymore, we are eating food-like products.

Comments

• Awesome news :) Must be great to be back out on the bike!
  • Keith47
    Awesome news :) Must be great to be back out on the bike!
    Indeed it was, I've hardly left the house for 3 weeks, walking is still difficult, it's actually less painful to cycle!! Getting better every day though, can't wait to get some mileage in on the road bike. :wink:
    The problem is we are not eating food anymore, we are eating food-like products.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    It's nice to know I am not the only one who had Haglund''s deformity. I had the op a few years ago, best thing that ever happened to me because I could hardly walk without painkillers.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Keith47
    antfly wrote:
    It's nice to know I am not the only one who had Haglund''s deformity. I had the op a few years ago, best thing that ever happened to me because I could hardly walk without painkillers.
    I had never heard of it TBH.I'd put up with it for years, thinking it was caused by decades of heavy weightlifting. Can't remember the last time I was able to run, eventually even walking became excruciating ( although bizarrely it never affected me when I was cycling!! :? ). It took 2 years of going backwards and forwards to the hospital before finally seeing someone who knew what they were talking about.
    Right now it's so sore I'm questioning my decision to have the op.
    How long was your recovery, can you remember?
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Sounds very similar to my experience except you did well to find someone in two years, one bloke said there was nothing wrong with me. I gave up looking and put up with it for over a decade, the surgeon I eventually saw in Liverpool diagnosed it instantly. Recovery from the op didn't take long, a few weeks I think, and my achilles has been improving ever since without the bone rubbing. You won't regret it once you can walk again without pain, i'm sure.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Keith47
    Managed a 7.5 mile ride on the MBSO today, only averaged 12.5mph :oops: but felt stronger than yesterday, spent most of the time on the middle chainring, but got up to the large chainring for the last couple of miles. Feeling better every day. Bring on the summer! :lol: