upgrading my forks to carbon

alal123
alal123 Posts: 9
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
I'm fairly new to biking, and am getting into dualthlons and tri's.Ihave a Claude butler elite. Can't afford at present to upgrade to a completely new bike, would I benefit much from upgrading the forks to carbon? Any other tips on realitvly cheap upgrades? Cheers, alan

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Do you find the ride harsh? If not stick with what you got and put it towards the next bike.
  • It wouldn't be worth the price you would pay. If you want to upgrade your bike, I'm guessing you will want some aero (triathlon) bars, and you could change the pedals if you haven't already.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Waste of money, put towards a new bike ;-)
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    I changed my forks to carbon ones and it made a lot of difference.I got mine from here and great price.there is also ebay etc.It is worth it if your keeping the bike a while for sure.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    elderone wrote:
    I changed my forks to carbon ones and it made a lot of difference.I got mine from here and great price.there is also ebay etc.It is worth it if your keeping the bike a while for sure.

I knew I should have asked for more :lol:

OP - If you are seriously uncomfortable then they can soften the ride somewhat but it depends on price and how badly you feel it through the front etc. They tend to feel less 'buzzy' than aluminium forks.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    What are we talking about cost wise, fitted?

All upgrades are good lol, I was just trying to encourage OP to get a new bike in my earlier post :wink:
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    No smidsy the price was just right..Now if you selling them american classics in white at such a reasonable price let me know...
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • if the bike is as originally supplied the following upgrades are needed to help your quest
    a) tyres - a must
    b)clipless pedals - dont give us all that about being 'too connected' to the bike, once you use them you will never go back but the point is you feel the bike more and power transfer is more efficient
    c) carbon seatpost will cut some road buzz to your posterior and double taping your bars may help dampen front end buzz
    if you go to a local decathlon theyll order a triban carbon fork for you and itll set you back about 70 quid fitted
    if you are looking for a brand name fork you are looking north of 150 quid
  • A carbon seatpost is an indulgence, not a necessity. There are far better uses for that money unless money truly is no object. (in which case I'd expect the OP to have bought a different bike!)

[and clipless pedals don't improve power transfer. ;)]
  • sedente
    sedente Posts: 8
    on that frame its really not worth it, upgrade the wheels to something a bit better, or even just the tires, that's where youll see the most gain
  • A carbon seatpost is an indulgence, not a necessity. There are far better uses for that money unless money truly is no object. (in which case I'd expect the OP to have bought a different bike!)

'carbon seatpost will cut some road buzz to your posterior and double taping your bars may help dampen front end buzz' - in his quest to dial out some road buzz its a cheaper option than forks so if his budget wont allow, then i would suggest that it becomes a neccessity to look at the seat post as an alternate area to dampen - ive had an alu claud for 10 years and when i put a 40 quid carbon post on it i noticed the difference, it wasnt much but it was something

pedals - i dont agree with you, his pedalling will be more efficient - the beauty of modern democracy in action :wink: but there are millions of threads debating that one so go find one if you like
  • alal123
    Thanks for all the replays people, your a helpful bunch on here!

I on a whim brought a btwin triban 5 this morning (it comes with carbon forks :0)) being 6ft 1 the 53cm frame was more of a problem than the forks not being carbon!!

Anyone have a btwin? Read nothing but good things for the price on here.
  • alal123
    Oh and I've got clip in pedals and shoes and I love them!! Even if Im still a bit suspect on junctions!...again thanks for the advice fellas hopefully in. A few years I'll be able to offer some too!!

'carbon seatpost will cut some road buzz to your posterior and double taping your bars may help dampen front end buzz' - in his quest to dial out some road buzz its a cheaper option than forks so if his budget wont allow, then i would suggest that it becomes a neccessity to look at the seat post as an alternate area to dampen - ive had an alu claud for 10 years and when i put a 40 quid carbon post on it i noticed the difference, it wasnt much but it was something

pedals - i dont agree with you, his pedalling will be more efficient - the beauty of modern democracy in action :wink: but there are millions of threads debating that one so go find one if you like

If you really do mean a £40 one, then fine, but many people will spend much more than that; I more speak to them.

As for clipless pedals (and clips and straps), they keep your feet in place. In so doing they can help you to produce a more fluid stroke. They just don't improve power transfer. ;)

If you really do mean a £40 one, then fine, but many people will spend much more than that; I more speak to them.

As for clipless pedals (and clips and straps), they keep your feet in place. In so doing they can help you to produce a more fluid stroke. They just don't improve power transfer. ;)

you can apply power on the up aswell as the downstroke, that, to me, is an improvement of power transfer, if there is a more correct terminology to describe that then i will use it however i think i get my point across, all a matter of opinion (said the man with the wooden leg!) but as ive said there are plenty of threads on BR discussing just such a topic, the heading of this thread is upgrading forks to carbon - with a subtext of 'how can i dial out the road chatter in a cost effective manner

oh aye you can spend fortunes on carbon anything really, but a cheap 40 quid seat post will dull the chatter, if the OP has a budget this might be an option for him - he doesnt need, no one NEEDS a 200 quid seatpost - still take one if i could though :wink: