Hotel/Self guide or "camp"

mr_poll
mr_poll Posts: 1,547
edited April 2013 in Tour & expedition
I had made plans to go to Italy for a weeks training camp in August, then my kids were flying in so we could have all have 10 days in the sun, it was going to be my first ride on the continent however the training camp has fallen apart so I now have a dilemma.

Do I go to italy in the same week (save on flights) - I have found some bike hotels which look OK and then have a self guided holiday before meeting the kids as per the original plan. Or shall I use the time/money to go on one of many more organised camps in May/June.

Thoughts greatly received from anyone who has tried either or both.

Comments

• Where in Italy are you going?
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    The relaxing holiday part is close to Venice - the cycling week before was going to be Lake Garda (train about an hour from Venice) - so if I do Italy looking at Veneto or Garda.
  • Make sure you get a posh service from Venice to Garda, the cattle train is awful. It will be unbearably hot in August, overcrowded and full of African mother and baby combos trying to get money off you.

When it comes to Garda, the lower third is flat and dull for cycling, the Northern two thirds gets better the further North you are, I.e. there are more hills.

In terms of routes, you can't really go wrong just searching Strava, if you are happy to cycle alone that is.

You could try contacting the cycle shop near Salo (South West Garda) called Mata (www.matashop.it), they might be able to point you at some group rides or something.

We usually rent a villa or apartment so bike storage is never an issue. The times we have used a hotel (quite a lot) I have never even asked about a cycle policy, I just march it straight up to the room and have never even had a comment. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Don't know how much all of that helps, hopefully a little.
  • insella
    insella Posts: 37
    i have a solution, mr_poll, for you to consider.
    i am training to be a guide to start next year, here where i live at the pre-Alps of the Dolomites. If you like you can find some bike-friendly accomodation very easily, I will help with suggestions according to what you favour.
    I am willing, gratis, to show you the very fine routes available in this area, and there are many! Flat, rolling hills or lung-bursting long climbs; the itinerary is your choice.
    It will be good practise for me and a solution for you. August is hot hot so if you do come I hope you are an early (ish) riser to make the most of the days.
    let me know if you are interested and we can talk details.
  • insella
    insella Posts: 37
    Hi Mr_Poll
    i haven't been a member for long enough to qualify for personal messaging. so if you PM me your email i'll get in touch. cheers