Cyclus headset press - tapered headtube?

MartinS-P
MartinS-P Posts: 2
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Fellow spanners!

I'm in the hunt for a headset press but need one that does both 1 1/8 and 1 1/2 as my Giant Glory headtube is tapered. I know that both Park and Pedross presses do both but they cost more than I'm willing to pay. eBay have some home grown varieties but I'd rather not go there...unless I'm forced to.

The Cyclus gets really good reviews, and is reasonably priced, but only appears to be available in either 1 1/8 OR 1 1/2. Surely you must be able to buy the 1 1/8 and then a seperate 1 1/2 press attachment?

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/cycl ... /aid:22688

All help gratefully received. :D

Comments

• Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    I made my own headset press .... even cheaper than the eBay ones!! :lol: Worked well too, but that's not of any help to you! I think I'd rather pay for my LBS to do it though, rather than buy the tool. It's not an overly common job!

EDIT: Now that I actually look at the link :oops: it does seem like a good price, its almost tempting! Can't help you with buying seperate parts for it however.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Could you use sockets from a wrench set as spacers/adapters to allow you to use one for all? Not familiar with the purpose built tools, but my "gghetto" solution is to use a press made from roof-rack ladder clamps and a selection of socket heads. I just choose the right sizes to fit the cups in question, plus narrower ones that sit inside the headtube to keep everything nice and straight, and it works a treat:

The ladder clamps:
    th_IMG_4162_zps3cf4192f.jpg

Reassembled like this:
    th_IMG_4163_zps5c83ba14.jpg

Pressing in the first cup:
    th_IMG_4164_zps2a7ba6f8.jpg

Then turn it over for the second:
    th_IMG_4167_zps5b6ba977.jpg
  • RobJ20
    RobJ20 Posts: 48
    Hammer and a block of wood, i worried about doing my for ages and gave in just used a hammer, so easy as long as you take your time, even knocked the old one out with a big screw driver and a hammer.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    block of wood, line it up straight, hit with hammer

of course this method implies a bit of taking care and making sure its going in straight.
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    I used to use the block of wood approach, it does work but the potential for disaster always worried me so I bought a press. I've got the cyclus, one it's a solid bit of kit & works well, I had the same issue with a tapered headset all I did was turn the bottom 'stepped' adapter over so that the largest side faces the cup.

I use an old clutch thrust washer on top of this as its just about the right size and it works perfectly, you can align top and bottom cups in one hit with no problem, takes seconds to fit.
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer