Cannock Chase - Much Snow

shaunlfc1
shaunlfc1 Posts: 132
edited March 2013 in Routes
Hey all,

I have had this Easter biking weekend planned for weeks now but I was just wandering how affected Cannock Chase has been with the snow?

Our plan is Cannock on Friday, Natural North Wales ride on Saturday, Coed-y-Brenin on Sunday, Coed-y-LLandegla on Monday then home.

Problem is my group is a mixed bunch of ability and the ones who do not do snow riding are concerned the weekend would be a waste of time. So I wanted to gauge mid-week what local knowledge of these trails is and our chances of the whole group being able to ride this coming weekend?

Your advice hugely appreciated.

Thanks,

Shaun

Comments

• Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Snow? Shed loads! This was posted on the Chase Trails FB page yesterday - there has been no further update. It'll be worth watching. CYB however, was certainly open and rideable at the weekend.
    Birches Valley is closed until further notice.

Rather than saying the same thing every day, when it's finally open we'll post an update. The sun is out today (in Stafford at least) and the snow around here is melting very slowly, so fingers crossed BV will be open by the weekend. However, as you may know, the snow is often worse up on the Chase so that remains to be seen. Spring will be here eventually...........?

Following the recent snow, Birches Valley Forest Centre car park and play area will remain CLOSED until further notice. Due to snow damage there is high risk of falling trees and branches.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I went out sunday morning, it was a good walk with a bike. Riding was tough.

It's melting pretty quickly though, by the weekend it'll be mainly the big drifts left. It just depends where they are lying.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Just seen this on their FB page.

Following the recent snow the bike trails will be CLOSED until further notice. There is currently still 4/5 inches of snow on the trails. Due to snow damage there is high risk of falling trees and branches. Riding the trails in these conditions also caused long term damage to the trail surface. Sorry if you were planning to visit us this weekend...
  • prawny
    Doens't say that on the FB page I go to?
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • _jon_
    _jon_ Posts: 366
    prawny wrote:

https://www.facebook.com/cannockforest?ref=stream
  • prawny
    _Jon_ wrote:
    prawny wrote:

https://www.facebook.com/cannockforest?ref=stream

Yeah I saw it when I got home, I was going to the Chase trails page that hadn't been updated. Seems odd that Chase Trails themselves are making less of a deal out of the trail damage than FC are. Shame though.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Clank
    Latest update from the FC Facebook page
    Our rangers have been working hard and we are please to say that Birches Valley carpark, play area and walking trails are now OPEN for the bank holiday weekend. There is still some snow on the ground so please take extra care. Unfortuately the bike trails will remain CLOSED.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

• I just tried cannock chase today. Its pretty much unrideable. 4" to 6" deep and fairly compacted. Where it has melted its just mud and slush.
  • Clank
    Chase Trails are still asking people NOT to ride FTD and Monkey.

From the Chase Trails FB page:
    Go Ape!, Swinnerton Cycles Forest Centre, and the car park are all open and running, and most of the snow has gone from the trees. However, Follow the Dog and The Monkey will remain closed for the foreseeable future. Please do not ride them, as you WILL cause damage. More damage means more repairs, which means more of our time is wasted fixing things instead of making awesome new trails

• naffa
    naffa Posts: 126
    Just got back from there. We didn't touch the dog or monkey as requested but there were a few using them.
    There is still a good covering of snow which made some of the riding on the main trails fairly edgy @ times but it was a good laugh.
    Cheers Nathan.