Painting Pedals

mystic.bertie
mystic.bertie Posts: 136
edited March 2013 in Workshop
I bought a second hand hybrid last year for my daughter and a few things need attention to get it looking better, i want to paint the pedals, they are platform pedals, painted black and all scuffed, should i remove the paint and leave them silver or should i repaint them, if so what a good paint to use for pedals? :D

edit, from what i read painting them does not last long, so im going to paint over the black finish with Rustoleum Black Hart Hat paint, so hopefully having a black base and painting them black will work ok. :mrgreen:

Comments

• squibnocket
    squibnocket Posts: 207
    Personally I wouldn't paint them all the faff of stripping them down, undercoating them and the potential problem of paint getting where its not wanted.... it would be cheaper and less hassle to buy some new ones there's plenty available .
    Although I did once polish some silver ones that had been scatched.
  • squibnocket
    squibnocket Posts: 207
    Oops Scratched
  • Personally I wouldn't paint them all the faff of stripping them down, undercoating them and the potential problem of paint getting where its not wanted.... it would be cheaper and less hassle to buy some new ones there's plenty available .
    Although I did once polish some silver ones that had been scatched.

good pedals are pricey and its my daughters bike, so the pedals wont get a lot of abuse, i wasnt going to strip the paint off, i was going to scotch brite it, then clean with thinners, then spray paint. There is not that much work involved. Second hand pedals are grubby too.

I thought about stripping the paint but the bare alloy might look pants unless properly polished.
  • As inspiring as your effort is...you can get a new set of decent pedals for £13. I'm going to assume the bearings, etc. in your current ones are old and grindy.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=563
  • As inspiring as your effort is...you can get a new set of decent pedals for £13. I'm going to assume the bearings, etc. in your current ones are old and grindy.

i had seen the wellgo pedals but when i read the reviews on wiggle a few folk said the bearing were cheap and rubbish, didn't spin well etc. The pedals on the giant bike have decent bearings a spin great and no grinding. So i reckon to get pedals with decent bearings its gonna cost about £22. I just started at Rolls Royce and i will be able to bead blast the pedals and use a polishing mop to get them all shiny, then replace the reflectors. They should look bling lol :lol:

if the £13 pedals were good i would just buy them. :shock:
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    As inspiring as your effort is...you can get a new set of decent pedals for £13. I'm going to assume the bearings, etc. in your current ones are old and grindy.

i had seen the wellgo pedals but when i read the reviews on wiggle a few folk said the bearing were cheap and rubbish, didn't spin well etc. The pedals on the giant bike have decent bearings a spin great and no grinding. So i reckon to get pedals with decent bearings its gonna cost about £22. I just started at Rolls Royce and i will be able to bead blast the pedals and use a polishing mop to get them all shiny, then replace the reflectors. They should look bling lol :lol:

if the £13 pedals were good i would just buy them. :shock:

Well you said yourself the bearings wont get much hammering being on your daughter's bike. Seems like you could go to an awful lot of effort to bead blast the current ones (and then ruin the bearings if you get grit in them) in preference to the Wellgo ones that will almost certainly last for years.
  • I intend to strip the pedals so no grit will damage anything. Im doing it too for a bit of job satisfaction and saving £22. Even though its just my daughter using it, i dont wanna put low quality pedals on a £450 bike. I do things like this all the time so its no big deal.