Cassette upgrade

Marcryan206
Marcryan206 Posts: 116
edited March 2013 in Road general
Hi guys

Looking for some advice, I want to start upgrading and looking at the cassette first. I currently have Shimano HG50 12-25, on my giant defy 2.
I have entered a few races for this year and do plenty of hill training.

Thanks for your time

Comments

• 11-23
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • verloren
    verloren Posts: 337
    What are you hoping to achieve with the upgrade? Lighter weight, a range better suited to your abilities?

'09 Enigma Eclipse with SRAM.
    '10 Tifosi CK7 Audax Classic with assorted bits for the wet weather
    '08 Boardman Hybrid Comp for the very wet weather.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I don't think many folks would start by upgrading the cassette. Bang for the buck is minimal.

Usual list is tyres and then wheels. If you want to go faster then get a turbo and do interval sessions (if you cannot afford a personal trainer).

When it comes to the cassette, just match the cassette to your requirement. So, if you have been finding that you don't need the bottom cog then think about losing it to gain from a closer ratio. If you find yourself spinning out at 120 rpm then perhaps a smaller cog at the top.
  • Marcryan206
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    I don't think many folks would start by upgrading the cassette. Bang for the buck is minimal.

Usual list is tyres and then wheels. If you want to go faster then get a turbo and do interval sessions (if you cannot afford a personal trainer).

When it comes to the cassette, just match the cassette to your requirement. So, if you have been finding that you don't need the bottom cog then think about losing it to gain from a closer ratio. If you find yourself spinning out at 120 rpm then perhaps a smaller cog at the top.

Thanks for the advice, I have a set of rollers which I do three evenings a week. Had a coaching one to one. Just looking to start upgrading now. Have thought about wheels and will look into it a little more than a cassette I think!! Now to hunt down some wheels.
    I have read that some wheels are idea for different weights?! I'm 6ft4 and weigh 73kg is there a particular wheel set I should be looking for?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Thanks for the advice, I have a set of rollers which I do three evenings a week. Had a coaching one to one. Just looking to start upgrading now. Have thought about wheels and will look into it a little more than a cassette I think!! Now to hunt down some wheels.
    I have read that some wheels are idea for different weights?! I'm 6ft4 and weigh 73kg is there a particular wheel set I should be looking for?

I don't know what bike you have, but if your intention is to start racing then your current bike (and spec) is almost certainly up to the job already. You won't lose a race because you have the wrong wheels.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Imposter wrote:
    I don't know what bike you have, but if your intention is to start racing then your current bike (and spec) is almost certainly up to the job already. You won't lose a race because you have the wrong wheels.

The default riding position on a Defy is not ideal for racing though, it's very upright (which is less aerodynamic and gives you a high center of gravity so corners aren't ideal) So components to change position like a different stem could be useful.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Marcryan206
    jibberjim wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

The default riding position on a Defy is not ideal for racing though, it's very upright (which is less aerodynamic and gives you a high center of gravity so corners aren't ideal) So components to change position like a different stem could be useful.

I know wheels wont win me a race but any advantage you can get to help is good.

I have a centre of gravity as it is being tall, so a new stem could be beneficial also thanks!
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028

If you're determined to spend money on racing, spend it on coaching. Pound-for-pound, the performance benefit will be much better than money spent on bicycle parts...
  • Marcryan206
    Imposter wrote:

If you're determined to spend money on racing, spend it on coaching. Pound-for-pound, the performance benefit will be much better than money spent on bicycle parts...

Cheers pal ill take that advice I'm sure my misses will approve as well :lol: