Cycle computer - awful cable ties - normal?

pinkteapot
pinkteapot Posts: 367
edited March 2013 in Commuting general
Got a wireless cycle computer. Slightly dismayed to see that it is fixed to the bike with four really cheap thin (2.5mm) cable ties. Predictably, two of them broke while fitting the computer (before they were even vaguely tightened).

I've ordered a bag of 100 cable ties on eBay. With 100 cheap and nasty ties I might get four that work, right? If not the computer's going back to Amazon.

Reading reviews of cycle computers it seems cable ties are the norm these days in terms of attaching them. Why?!

Any tips for tightening these thin cable ties without breaking them?

Comments

• DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    You must have been giving it some heft to break cable ties, or else the ones you had were pony. If your eBay bargain turns out to be a similar quality, use some plastic-coated gardening wire and just twist the ends tight.
    My commuter must have about two-dozen cable ties on it - brake cables, gear cable, lighting cables & mudguards all secured. Road bike has CatEye sensor & crank magnet held with the 2.5mm ties; v.discrete.
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 367
    I'm really not that strong. :)

It's a VDO computer and as I tightened the cable ties the little catch inside the head snapped, rendering them useless. :( If anyone has bought 2.5mm cable ties and can recommend some in case my eBay specials are equally naff...
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    These cost me 0.99p each, haven't broke any when fettling tonight.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cable-ties-10 ... 4cf58fdacd
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.