Replacing Chain & derailer

roverthehill
roverthehill Posts: 155
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
hi,
have bitten the bullet and finally purchased a new 9 speed cassette, chain, rear derailer (x7, 9 speed) (jockeys had gone) and middle ring up front. I'm hoping most of the parts are straightforward enough to replace but have a couple of questions:

- in terms of setting the cable tension on the new derailer - what gear should the system be in for doing this? Do I do this first and then set the limit screws on the derailer?
- it will also be my 1st time replacing the chain. Do I just base the chain length on the old length? ie. in terms of number of links?

Basically I let my old chain wear out and wrecked most of the system so have continued to ride it to oblivion but now the chain is jumping on the casette so going to change her over and this time monitor my chain wear!!!!!!

And if anyone has any other useful pointers for this type of job that would be great!!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Read parktools website for setting up the derailleur corectly, set the low stop and then set the cable tension to get it to go through the gears correctly.

Set chain length according to park tools, originals are not always right (biggest gear each end, not routing through derailleur and plus 2 links).

You could have just replaced the Jockeys....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • yeah, but the jockey wheels are expensive enough wee dudes. I thought I'd just pay the bit extra and get the derailer...

Cheers for the pointers.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Depending on year, about £8-10 for BBB's, about £10 for alloys...
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.