Choice of 2

steve 1
steve 1 Posts: 6
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi looking to buy a new bike and after reading this forum it looks like the Voodoo hoodoo and the rockrider 8.1 seem the best value for money bikes in my price range. Not looking to spend more than £500 but would prefer to spend a little less if poss in the easter sales. Im 6.3 and 17 stone so Im guessing I need some good front forks? Im not massively into biking but when the weather is good normally do some road biking to countryside the off road for a bit. But after seeing this site I wouldnt mind getting into some local trails if theres any about.

Are these the best bikes for my buck and if they are both same price in the sale what one would you get?
Also if anyone knows of any sales bargain let me know ;)
Thanks
Steve

Comments

• chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    the 8.1 is better overall, but to be honest, at your size, the voodoo would probably be better, the 8.1 has a coil fork, which will have the medium spring in it, not really meant for someone your size, you would really need an extra firm spring, the hoodoo has an air fork, so it would be a lot easier just to pump more air into it to get it performing as it should for you
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • steve 1
    right. good to know about the air forks, thanks. Do you think the Hoodoo is the best buy for me or is there maybe a better bike in the paulscycles sale which would be better for me. I would prefer to buy from an independent rather than large retailer but I dont know much about mountain bikes so just going from review from the net really.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    i would say they are really the best two at that price, the hoodoo is i believe a bit burlier than the 8.1, but really i suppose either would be okay, the coil fork on the 8.1 will work for you, but if you get the bug and start pushing things, then really thats where you would want a firmer spring, i say this because we're a similar size, for anything better, really your looking around the £600 to £650 mark
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • steve 1
    Think im gonna go with the hoodoo as its a bit cheaper and I like the sounds of the adjustable suspension ( I assumed they would all be adjustable)
    Thanks very much for your advice
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Most suspension is adjustable, it's just that they all have limits on adjustability, coil springs you can't change the spring rate on, only the preload, with an airspring you change the spring rate but can't change the preload independantly of that.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • steve 1
    just picked up the hoodoo from a local Halfords. Thought Id let yuo all know as they are offering 10% off instore which doesnt seem to be showing online
  • MrM
    MrM Posts: 60
    SMCYCLE10 or A13AB03 is the online code