Rusty Chrome Bolts - Where To Buy Replacements

mystic.bertie
mystic.bertie Posts: 136
edited March 2013 in Road buying advice
I bought a carrera road bike last year, a few of the cap screws that secure the handle bar have a little rust and its spoils the look of the bike a bit. I also bought a second hand giant hybrid last year for my kid, several of the chrome screws and bolts are rusty. Where is a good place to buy replacements and can you buy chrome bolts that wont rust or is it best to go for stainless steel ones?? 8) 8) 8)

Comments

• freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    I bought a carrera road bike last year, a few of the cap screws that secure the handle bar have a little rust and its spoils the look of the bike a bit. I also bought a second hand giant hybrid last year for my kid, several of the chrome screws and bolts are rusty. Where is a good place to buy replacements and can you buy chrome bolts that wont rust or is it best to go for stainless steel ones?? 8) 8) 8)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M5-X-20-S-STAINLESS-STEEL-CAPHEAD-SCREW-BOLTS-SOCKET-CAP-CAPS-10-PACK-/300678255841?pt=UK_DIY_Material_Nails_Fixing_MJ&hash=item4601d214e1

$T2eC16hHJGQE9noMcTLWBQ-H61!Mk!~~60_35.JPG

Stainless steel
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    take the bolts to your local HSS or good blacksmith merchants for best price (no delivery)

typically you will want A2 stainless socket head cap screws (that would be aircraft grade with rolled threads)

but most are M4,M5 & M6 with a length of 30mm or there about.......
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,433
    acf-50, put a bit on the rust and it'll remove it and then protect, reapply every few months, works very well

http://proviationshop.co.uk/shop/articl ... rosol.html
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Screwfix sell A2 stainless steel 16mm and 20mm M5 cap screws in packs of 50 for around £3.50.
  • AlahDamIt
    AlahDamIt Posts: 44
    Screw fix, worked a treat. Only trouble is I've shed loads left. Could sell them on eBay in packs of 10
    Bianchi infinito 2012
    Specialized Secteur
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,433
    bear in mind that depending on class, a2 stainless steel bolts can be a fair bit weaker than a common class 8.8 bolt

which would be a problem if any of the bolts actually *need* to be that strength (or higher)

won't be an issue for something like a top cap bolt, but for the bolts holding the stem to steerer for instance, personally i'd check carefully before substituting

handy info...

http://www.westfieldfasteners.co.uk/Ref ... _Spec.html
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • thanks for all the helpful replies guys, those ones on ebay are cheap enough and you have a few spares, thanks for the link matey.

Screwfix would be an option if i did not have to pay for postage and i rarely buy anything from screwfix these days.

all the screws are m5 and m6 just needing a few different lengths.