AM wheelset ideas please

jairaj
jairaj Posts: 3,009
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
I'm thinking of getting a new wheel set and possibly looking at a Merlin build using Shimano XT hubs. The 20mm centre lock version up front and the 142mm x 12mm bolt through at the rear.

I know 5 years ago these where highly regarded but are they still good? Are they still competitive on the strength to
weight ratio? I haven't heard anything recently about Shimano Hubs either in press reviews or even on here.

I've had Shimano hubs before and have no problems with cup and cone bearings what so ever and I have centre lock rotors already.

These will be eventually going on my new bike a Transition Bandit26 used for XC, starting out in freeride parks and the odd DH track a few times a year.

Comments

• I've got these from Merlin on my Rock Lobster... XT m785's.
    http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/w ... -pair.html

Brilliant wheelset, had no issues at al with the hubs.

Slightly heavier than Hope pro 2 as a comparison, however the XT have a steel free hub so doesn't get chewed up by the cassette... in fact, if you put the steel freehub on the Hope pro2, the XT is lighter IIRC.
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    I have Pro 2s on both my bikes, wifey's has XT; both as equally good.
  • jairaj
    Cool thanks for the info guys.

Unfortunately Merlin do not offer custom wheel sets built with the 142mmm hub. Any ideas where else on the web is good at wheel builds and offers Shimano hubs?
  • jairaj
    *edit change of title.

Basically looking for a wheel set that can take a bit of abuse but not to heavy for every day cycling up hills too.

Needs to be tubeless without using an adaptor strip (stans type yellow tape is fine). Need 20mm axle on the front and 142mm x 12mm axle on the rear.

I weight 90kgs and bike they will be going on is a Transition Bandit.

I mainly do XC / trail riding but I am looking to progress my skills and get more air and do jumps so want to get a stronger wheel set for the inevitable hard landings. I'm just starting out so don't think I need anything super tough just a bit more than XC strength. Aiming to do table tops and drops into nice transitions shouldn't be too many jump to flat. I won't be sending it and doing massive gap jumps of 12 foot long.

I currently have a Superstar wheelset with Stans Crest rims. These have been great so far but I'm on edge of what they can handle. I think for my weight they are more of a XC rim so need to get something tougher.

Looked at another Superstar custom build; a wheelset with Tesla hubs, Arch EX rims and nice spokes is going to cost ~£350.

Also looking around for some other options.

So far I think these are the best I've found:
    http://www.wtb.com/products/wheels/wheelsets/strykeram/
  • Barrelmaker
    Barrelmaker Posts: 188
    I have a set of hope hoops, with ztr flows and hope pro 2 hubs that cost around 300 quid. The flow is a more AM oriented rim so might suit you. I think the wheelset weights about 2kgish, probably more.
  • jairaj
    I was hoping to get away with something lighter than a Flow. I've seen people use it on big bikes for freeride type things.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    starting out in freeride parks and the odd DH track a few times a year.

Has to be the Flows really. 480g is a good weight for the strength. In fact many would be going even heavier.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Tesla on arch ex would be my choice, depends on budget. I'm not a fan of shimano hubs and you can't really go wrong with either a tesla or pro2.
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    Tesla with Pacenti TL28 rims would be my choice or DL31 rims if you don't mind the extra weight and want piece of mind with the extra strength.
  • jairaj
    From what I've read the Pacenti TL28 are more of a XC rim similar to my Crests that I already have and the DL31 is heavier than the Flow.

I think a custom build with a Stan's rim is the way forward.

I didn't realise the Flow was that light, its only 90g heavier than the Arch EX. But at the same time the Arch EX is listed as being suitable for AM use too.

I know I said I'll be hitting the odd DH track but I'll still be on a 130mm trail bike so mincing down the track some what. I normally ride these trails on a 140mm hardtail so I don't think they are world cup level tracks.

Most my riding will still be XC / Trail type stuff and me trying to clear the odd small table top. I don't see my self sending it off big stuff for a while yet. Surely the Arch EX will be OK here? or do you really think I should be going for Flows even from now.

Stans Arch EX rims, Tesla hubs and Sapim D light spokes come out at £350 from Superstar and should weight around 1700g

Stans Arch EX rims, XT hubs and Sapim D light spoke come at £330 from Just ride along and I think come in at a similar weight.

The WTB wheelset is £330 and weights in at 1712g.

Everything is basically the same. But I think I might be leaning towards the XT hub build as I like Shimano hubs and don't really know anything about the WTB wheelset
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    WTB rims are nice. I have a few. All WTB rims are tubeless ready and just need tape & valve. I ran a pair of speeddiscs for several years and they took a lot of abuse one way or another and are still going. The current (frequency range) rim prices have shot up a bit, so a custom build will probably work out quite pricey, however the complete wheelset for £330 does not sound too bad at all. WTB hubs are a clone of American Classic AFAIK - they are fairly well regarded. I don't know if you can convert them like the Teslas or Pro2s, though.

I think I'd lean toward the Tesla + Arch build, from your shortlist. Well TBH, I'd probably choose Hope Hoops with Arch, they're around the same cost, £330.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Arch Ex's would be fine they're a tough rim and my crests have seen plenty if abuse over the last two years including a few DH runs and have been fine, I'm only 70kg so the Ex should be perfect. If you're ok with cup and cone that's all fine, but the axles aren't changeable so you're stuck with them, something to consider if you swap frames. IMO all hubs these days should be convertible to a range of standards and the faff I've had with cup and cone before is the nail in the coffin for shimano hubs IMO, the rest of their kit is top notc but the hubs are way behind the competition IMO, they're bloody heavy too.
  • jairaj
    Ta I think I'm sorted on the rim, Arch EX it is. It'll fit in well with the riding I do currently and should have enough strength as I progress my riding a bit more a get more airborne.

Plan is to buy some cheap heavy strong wheels if I suddenly become a freeride god for the days when I want be "rad"!

But undecided at the mo on the hubs. I've only just bought the frame (still waiting for it to be delivered) so don't think I'm worried about changing axle standards. I'm also willing to take the risk with cup and cone bearings. As said I've had these in the past and not had any issues before.

In terms of quality how does the Tesla compare to other highly regarded hubs? Is it just a Switch Evo with better bearings or a better / nicer hub in some way?
  • mrmonkfinger
    By all reports, Teslas are top notch quality. Fast pickup freehub. Good bearings. Quite light. Superstar had some input into the hub design IIRC. Made by Chosen.

Switch Evo is "mid range". Decent hubs and solid enough, but cheap bearings and a steel axle. Fairly standard freehub mechanism. Bit heavier than the Tesla. Nothing wrong with them, cost saving is made on the bearings, and because they're an older design straight from Novatec's catalogue.
  • jairaj
    Also are alu nipples still a false economy? I got told a few years back they were fine for race day wheels but not worth it for everyday wheels.

But I see more and more factory wheel sets with these, presumably to help reduce overall weight? have they magically changed and are better? or just a trick by the manufactures to get weights down?
  • mrmonkfinger
    jairaj wrote:
    Also are alu nipples still a false economy?

Alu nipples save about 40g of weight. Brass nipples won't freeze onto the spokes. Alu nipples might if not prepped during the build.
  • I have hope pro 2's with mavic 521 rims I cannot quote the weights because I really don't know.

I have gone tubeless with these with a stans kit and so far no problems and great to ride on, IIRC I think these were approx £350
    work hard, play hard, fall hard

cube stereo 2010

Felt Z95 2013
  • £400 will buy you Tesla hubs with Arch Ex rims, CX Ray spokes, alloy nipples, plus fitted rimtape and valves.

Weight should be 1,602g - That's what mine are.

They're also still straight as an arrow and smooth as a smooth thing after a year of crappy weather abuse. no loose spokes, nothing!

I'm now on my 5th or 6th set of superstar wheels, got them on all my bikes, and considering a set for the roadie too.