Heart of a Lion, body of a Hippo....

dezbruce
dezbruce Posts: 15
edited April 2013 in Commuting general
Hello,

I'm looking for some feedback really. I've been on BR for a while now, mostly reading and getting some good tips but i feel i need to step out and ask a question if i may.

I'm a large lad but reasonably mobile. I don't get out of breath easy and have no health issues. I'm 24 stone.

My work is a 36 mile round trip and I want to cycle it. I currently motorbike it but i want to use that time to get fit, lose weight and get some training in for the London to Brighton this year.

I find i have no time outside of my commute to do any exercise, so although determined, i'm frustrated by time restraints.

Question is. Am i a nutter?

Actually, Do you think its possible and can i expect a hard time being the size i am?

Comments

• dezbruce
    Thanks Oxoman. Before i moved further from my work i used to cycle 4 miles each way daily. The route will be on a main road as i live in Basingstoke with my work being in Camberley. I don't really notice the hills being on the motorbike but i'm sure there are a few!

Quack says apart from the weight i'm in top shape!

I imagine it will be hard but the alternative (according to the quack) is gastric bypass which i feel is a little extreme if there are other (commuting by cycle for 36 miles) alternatives..
  • wandsworth
    wandsworth Posts: 354
    I would take it gradually. 18 miles, twice a day, is a lot, especially if you're starting from zero exercise. As oxoman suggests, maybe do a part commute if you can. Also, don't try and do it every day, at least at first: maybe twice or three times per week. That's what I'm doing, and my commute is only 8.5 miles each way (but then, I'm 50, you might be younger). If you overdo it, you might not enjoy it and be put off, which would be a shame. Good luck!
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • dezbruce
    Thanks Wandsworth. I'm 38.

20 years ago i did a lands end to John oGroats thing....doubt i'd manage that these days!

I'll take it slowly at first defo.
  • gllewellyn
    gllewellyn Posts: 113
    Hi, I think that commute is perfectly do-able, just approach it carefully...

I'd suggest the following:
    * One weekend, try the commute out (there and back) in one go - that way you can take you time, be comfortable with the route, get an idea of how long it takes, but most of all, have the confidence to know you can do it.
    * Start gradually - just one or two days a week while you get used to the increased mileage - I first you'll sleep like a baby afterwards! Or maybe, if you can lift share occasionally, ride in, get a lift home and then again in the morning, and then ride home on day 2 - in other words, don't push yourself too much in one day.
    * Make sure you have appropriate spares, etc in case of a mechanical.
    * Make sure you have good locks and facilities at work (leave locks there - you don't want to be carrying those extra few kilos).
    * Sort out work clothes, showers, etc.

Do the above and you'll get on fine. Just keep an eye on what you eat and the weight will soon shift - if you're not careful, you'll easily start eating loads of crap after those sorts of rides, so make sure you have suitable healthy food.
  • dezbruce
    Thank you! all good advice.
  • If you don't have the time at the moment to exercise, how are you going to find the extra time needed to cycle rather than motorbike?

Apologies for being blunt, but at your weight I'd be looking at readdressing my priorities to get the exercise in. It'll be worth it!
  • dezbruce
    If you don't have the time at the moment to exercise, how are you going to find the extra time needed to cycle rather than motorbike?

Apologies for being blunt, but at your weight I'd be looking at readdressing my priorities to get the exercise in. It'll be worth it!

No problem, i'd rather people were blunt. Too many people say "You look fine" or "You carry it well". I need someone to say "Get on your bike ya fat so and so"

It takes me around 30 minutes on the motorbike to get to work. I figure 2 hours cycling? So, my theory is i'd rather spend 2 hours (or 4 if you count going home again) cycling rather than not being able to get out of bed pre work to exercise or being too tired after work to get out for 30 minutes or so...
  • Thraxas
    Thraxas Posts: 4
    Hello, I was in a similar position to you a couple of years ago, except I was a couple of stones heavier and by the sounds of it a bit less healthy. From my experience I would caution against jumping straight into such a long commute. It's something you need to build up to, I would suggest you make yourself a training plan. before I started, a much shorter commute, I spent 5 or 6 weeks getting used to being back on a bike and building up my stamina before I started riding to work regularly.

Also, from my experience, it maybe worth spending a couple of months getting yourself ready to start riding, if you get to that weight then there are obviously elements in your life that could do with some adjusting. Think about your diet and the amount of exercise you are getting.

My experience was being 26 stones, going to the GP with what I thought was a bad chest infection and ending up being blue lighted to the local hospital with heart failure. In the last two years though I have managed to lose 13 st through a combination of diet and exercise. So it can be done.
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 367
    Exercise aside, if you want to lose weight you need to look at your diet too. I lost weight and have kept it off using My Fitness Pal (free website and app). It'll tell you how many cals you should eat per day then you enter all your food to make sure you're sticking within budget. You earn extra cals with exercise so it's great when you do a long bike ride and can then drink a bottle of wine. ;) Not sure that's how I should be spending my exercise cals but whatever. ;)
  • lackofgrip
    lackofgrip Posts: 851
    Good luck with the commuting, first few times are hard but once you get into the routine you will be fine.

I currently commute 26 miles (13 each way) on a fixed gear bike, I work in Sheffield which isn't very well known for being flat but I find the lack of gears leaves no place to hide.

My commute time varies between 40-50 minutes, I'm usually quicker on the way home (I wonder why :mrgreen: )

Just like the others have said steady away is the best bet.

For me the worst thing about commuting is setting off in the rain to work, I can handle rain on my way home but on the way to work it's a stinker, totally depressing lol
  • I'd do what the others say, start off doing it once or twice per week and build up from there and see how you go.If you do it 2-3x per week its still a good effort.Or bike in one day, get a lift home etc.
    Just think of all the money you will be saving, with this you will be able to buy yourself some new clothes because your old ones will be falling off you if you commit to this.
    I'd rather do this commute than have a gastric bypass or band.My friends Mum has had one and has lost 4 stones, she said that she could have done it herself and that you still have to diet etc.Also she has nearly chocked a couple of times when food has got stuck down her throat.
    Good luck with it.
  • tomhowells
    tomhowells Posts: 171
    All very sound advice. Little at first, build up to it. Look at the diet, although I'm with Pink Teapot - I spend my cals earned on wine!
    My commute is 13 miles each way, takes about 40 - 50 mins. The weight will fall off you in months, especially if you eat & drink sensibly, not like a monk, but just sensibly. Weekends can still be treat times, a few beers & a takeaway. I dropped 2 stones in 6 months by cycling to work (sometimes 5 days a week, sometimes 2 days a week - depends how I felt).
    Hopefuly the weather will get better soon (it's got to, right?) and setting off when it's light & coming home when it's light will make it all the more enjoyable.
    Good luck fella! Let us know how you get on!
    Boardman 8.9 SLR - Summer
    Holdsworth La Quelda - Commuter
    Moda Intro - Winter
    Planet X Stealth - TT
  • dezbruce
    Thanks for the advice and encouraging words everyone! this is kinda the last throw of the dice for me as i've failed at trying to lose weight before. I need to do this for so many reasons.
  • stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384
    dezbruce wrote:
    Thanks for the advice and encouraging words everyone! this is kinda the last throw of the dice for me as i've failed at trying to lose weight before. I need to do this for so many reasons.

All really good advice above. I started cycling in January at 267lbs (19 stone 1 lb) and as of yesterday was down 24 lbs. Sensible eating, not starving, and a slow build up of miles starting on the weekends. When I knew I could manage one leg of the commute without killing myself then I decided to take the plunge. Up to five days a week now and eager for extra miles in each direction. Mine is only 7.5 miles each way so a lot easier but can't believe how much I enjoy it.

You sound like you you got enough exercise when you were younger. You should set yourself a goal of something you want to achieve like a 100 mile ride (on a Sunday in August) or total number of miles per week or even an organised event. Something that will require you to focus your efforts on a 6 month training program.

That way you are striving for something positive (an achievement) and not beating yourself up about something negative (losing weight that you don't want). This way every time you make the correct decision of what to eat or to exercise you are doing something good for yourself and not denying yourself something good.

Good luck!!
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Cant really add too much to what the others have said - but have a read of this guy's blog for some inspiration.

http://39stonecyclist.com/tag/20-stone/
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I've gone from 18 stone to ~13.5 stone over 2-3 years, not a patch on some of these guys but I'd had a 'get your self in shape cos I don't want to operate on you again' from my heart surgeon and it was the kick I needed to get something done. I'd tried dieting and chemical interventions before hitting the commute but came to the conclusion that I'm not the type that would go to the gym or out for a run routinely enough to have an effect and don't have the will power to brutally control food intake. I've always liked cycling (as a teenager in London it was the fastest, most convenient way to get around) but hadn't done any for ages so I figured that commuting (minimum 6.5 miles each way) was the best way for me to balance the equation by increasing the calories out.

Tips for starting out:

1: Keep the route as flat as possible until your used to it.
    2: Start out as a fair weather cyclist and don't over dress.
    3: Don't worry about what people think or say too much.
    4: Schwalbe tyres are (in my experience) the best for puncture resistance.
    5: Take it easy, try two or three days per week or one way each day (if that's practical).
    6: Be realistic, 9mph (2 hours) is reasonable until you're used to it and can start getting faster.
    7: Every kilo you lose improves your power:weight ratio.

I started out just riding to work but now I go out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • dezbruce
    Thank you all for your kind words and advice, i'm taking it all on board so to speak. I'll try and let you know how i'm getting on.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Cant really add too much to what the others have said - but have a read of this guy's blog for some inspiration.

http://39stonecyclist.com/tag/20-stone/

+1 to this. Well worth a read.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • dezbruce
    I wonder how many people have read that blog and managed to emulate his success?
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    dezbruce wrote:
    I wonder how many people have read that blog and managed to emulate his success?

Im sure LOADS of people have TBH - Im nothing special at all - if I can ANYONE can !
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    If gaz can do it so can you.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • dezbruce
    gb155 wrote:
    dezbruce wrote:

Im sure LOADS of people have TBH - Im nothing special at all - if I can ANYONE can !

Your blog is definitely inspirational! Just wish the 'kin snow would stop and warms up a bit so i can crack on!

I have made a goal list and added one to it this very afternoon...to get a cheaper quote for life insurance. My wife and I got quoted for life insurance today. She, being healthy was £14 a month. Me on the other hand came in at £55 a month with a required medical. :shock: