Pelizzoli or Colnago

ianeverton
ianeverton Posts: 231
edited February 2016 in Road buying advice
I am looking to buy a build project for the summer and would like some opinions on the final 2 frames I have chosen, they are...

Pelizzoli Corsa GP or Colnago Master X Light

As I have a C59 was going to go for the Master, however the more I look at the Pelizzoli I am edging that way. Plus you do not see as many Pelizzoli bikes on the UK roads.

Has anybody ridden or seen both models, how do they ride, what do they look like in the flesh etc ?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    There are a few Master owners on this forum, myself included, and we love our bikes a lot. I always wanted to own one. I’ve got a Saronni red 2012 version and it is stunning in the flesh/steel. The paint has a sliver base coat so it sparkles! It’s a lovely bike to ride and when maxed out with silver bits like hubs, groupset, stem and cockpit it draws admiring glances ;-)

Saying that, the Pelizzoli you’re looking at is a cracker! I’ve never seen one, so it deffo has rarity on the road value, not to mention the looks.
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    Ian,

I have C59s. Also have a Pelizzoli Aeta on order through Mike at Maestro, which is custom geometry. Has been on order since December, but unfortunately availability of Xcr tubing has slowed things down a bit. Hope the wait is worth it.
  • Definitely go for the Colnago....only because I've just built up my own Corsa GP and want it to remain rare :D

On a serious note, I'm not going to be much help as it's not even turned a wheel yet due to our 'spring weather'. The ti alternative gets used every time. Like you, I asked myself the same question some time ago and after some thought I went for the Pelizzoli. Main reasons being, in order, exclusivity, similar product, and costing about half the price. If resale matters then the Colnago is better but, if like me you keep them, then not so.

When it's been out for a spin I'll post up....but don't go holding your breath.

FWIW Looks better in the flesh than the pics on the website

JS
  • ianeverton
    Do you have any pics you could post or send me ?

Definitely go for the Colnago....only because I've just built up my own Corsa GP and want it to remain rare :D

On a serious note, I'm not going to be much help as it's not even turned a wheel yet due to our 'spring weather'. The ti alternative gets used every time. Like you, I asked myself the same question some time ago and after some thought I went for the Pelizzoli. Main reasons being, in order, exclusivity, similar product, and costing about half the price. If resale matters then the Colnago is better but, if like me you keep them, then not so.

When it's been out for a spin I'll post up....but don't go holding your breath.

FWIW Looks better in the flesh than the pics on the website

JS
  • I'm sorry, but I've tried and I have no understanding of how to do it, whatsoever. I nearly threw the laptop on the floor and jumped up and down on it........I'm not a fan of tech! Hence buying an old steel bike.

Sorry
  • Oxo
    Oxo Posts: 144
    Does this help?

nago_small9.jpg

I loves my Master, tough (but nice) choice though!

Ox
    Sunday Best: 2013 Colnago Master 30th Anniversary
    Foul Weather: 2010 Kinesis Racelight T2
    Commuter: 1958 Holdsworth Zephyr Fixed Gear
  • ianeverton
    I love looking at nice bikes so appreciate the pic, however was after a pic of his Pelizzoli fully built.

The next decision after deciding on a frame is which colour way to go for :(

Oxo wrote:
    Does this help?

nago_small9.jpg

I loves my Master, tough (but nice) choice though!

Ox
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I have a Colnago but I'd probably go for the Pelizzoli - the Master is hugely over-priced for what it is, and it's probably not even made by Colnago but subbed-out to smaller builders.
    Pelizzoli however is one of the genuine artisans - when he build Ciocc's he was also Service Course for a lot of the pro teams and built many team frames - including for big brands beginning with a B or a C
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    Monty Dog wrote:
    I have a Colnago but I'd probably go for the Pelizzoli - the Master is hugely over-priced for what it is, and it's probably not even made by Colnago but subbed-out to smaller builders.
    Pelizzoli however is one of the genuine artisans - when he build Ciocc's he was also Service Course for a lot of the pro teams and built many team frames - including for big brands beginning with a B or a C

Any links to support this?
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Monty Dog wrote:

Monty, as far as I know all masters are built in the basement of Ernesto's home which is across the road to the factory.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Colnago have always subbed-out a lot of frame production, so it wouldn't have been unusual for them to do the same with a niche product like the Master, but I stand corrected.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Sounds like people have a lot of complaints about communication and order time - and quality - with Pelizzoli. Just google a little - there's a long thread of frustrated owners on lfgss.