Reba Rl knocking

djb1971
djb1971 Posts: 565
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
The rebas on my cube have developed a very slight knock/tapping noise. They only do it when I'm off the bike and rock the bike back and forth with the front brake on.

It's coming from the motion control side. When I apply even a slight downwards pressure to the forks it stops, if I press down onto lockout knob it stops. They're only doing it when fully extended and unweighted. If I turn the bike upside down the noise goes away for a few seconds, when put upright then starts again.

The best I can describe the noise is similar to a brake cable tapping on the frame. It's not the brake, cables or headset. It's 100% inside the lower leg. Can I remove the motion control damper to take a look without taking the lower legs off? Do I need to remove the lowers to fill with oil?

The forks have had hardly any use and the use they've had hasn't been hard. I've hardly used this bike because its got my ice tyres on it.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    If it is fine when actually riding is there really a problem?
  • maringirl
    maringirl Posts: 195
    Given what you have already checked on an older fork I'd have said it is the bushings going. On a fork with a spring then it can be the spring rattling against the casing - but think Reba RL are all air sprung? It's not something silly like the brake hose tapping on the fork? Unlikely to be the damper as there isn't anything to tap like that.
  • djb1971
    djb1971 Posts: 565
    Hi,

It's definitely the fork, nothing knocking against it.

There's no noise I can hear when riding but its only started recently and I don't want it to get worse if its a problem in the making. It's not the bushings because there's zero play on the stanchions, its the first thing I checked.

These were replacements for brand new forks that wouldn't hold air :roll:
  • sensi10
    sensi10 Posts: 68
    I have some 2012 reba rlts and they do the same at 1st i thought it was the headset but it is definatly comming from the fork as if I put any load on the fork ( pushing down ) it goes away . I have now just got used to it as it does not matter but it is annoying lol
  • Plyphon
    Plyphon Posts: 433
    Grab the upper with 1 hand,

Grab the lower with the other.

Try and move them back and forth. If there is knocking, it's your bushings.