Another hit and run

SteveR_100Milers
SteveR_100Milers Posts: 5,987
edited April 2013 in Road general
Just be careful out there, it's not getting any safer. First time I've been hit in 7 years...

viewtopic.php?f=40021&t=12912804

Comments

• Glad you are ok pal
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • ooermissus
    ooermissus Posts: 811
    Sorry that happened to you.
  • overlord2
    overlord2 Posts: 339
    You are ok that is the main thing. Can't really say what I think about people like this.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Yeah really glad you are ok, thats the main thing.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Sorry to hear and hope you're okay. Unfortunately it's all too common around here as these South Wales drivers are inconsiderate nutters.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Sorry to hear about your incident. Glad you're not too badly hurt. I know it sounds obvious but is there no chance of a CCTV camera picking him up? If not at the incident site then on the roads leading up to it? Hit and runs in my mind are the worst, bad enough they hit you but as you say acting like a coward after the event.
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    You was only bruised and I am guessing your bikes ok as you haven’t mentioned it. Although the driver is a Tw@t you haven’t actually got any damages to claim against him. The only thing you can do is get the police to prosecute for driving without due care and attention and fleeing the scene of an accident

This is why a lot of drivers feel they can drive off after knocking a cyclist off. If it ever happens to you go down like a football player and stay down.
  • NITR8s wrote:
    You was only bruised and I am guessing your bikes ok as you haven’t mentioned it. Although the driver is a Tw@t you haven’t actually got any damages to claim against him. The only thing you can do is get the police to prosecute for driving without due care and attention and fleeing the scene of an accident

This is why a lot of drivers feel they can drive off after knocking a cyclist off. If it ever happens to you go down like a football player and stay down.

Not quite true - Bike is damaged, helmet damaged, clothing ripped, off work today and likely tomorrow, will need physio on my neck (can barely move it today). Thankfully the BC solicitors have a different view.

Bear in mind the driver has a legal obligation to stop when in collision with another road user. When someone is injured as I was then police will always attend, and an incident number is generated. I'll be talking to the WPC attending later this evening when back on shift. I'm not into diving, but I certainly wasn't running around when I came too. Limited damages claims yes, and so long as I'm not out of pocket that's all that matters (the MIB is there for this situation where they don't trace the driver).
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    NITR8s wrote:

Not quite true - Bike is damaged, helmet damaged, clothing ripped, off work today and likely tomorrow, will need physio on my neck (can barely move it today). Thankfully the BC solicitors have a different view.

Bear in mind the driver has a legal obligation to stop when in collision with another road user. When someone is injured as I was then police will always attend, and an incident number is generated. I'll be talking to the WPC attending later this evening when back on shift. I'm not into diving, but I certainly wasn't running around when I came too. Limited damages claims yes, and so long as I'm not out of pocket that's all that matters (the MIB is there for this situation where they don't trace the driver).

Your correct, obviously I was not aware of bike damged etc. Thats a different story.
  • gubber12345
    gubber12345 Posts: 493
    goonz wrote:
    Yeah really glad you are ok, thats the main thing.
    +1 on that.....he'l get his someday and i hope its soon the yellow b45tard
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • Spoke to the WPC who attended. She told me that the witness was under the impression that the van driver simply hadn't seen me at all, and hadn't realised he (or she) had hit me.
    Not sure if that's worse!
  • gazza1000
    gazza1000 Posts: 35
    Sorry to hear that Steve, hope the physio goes well mate. I've had a few near misses mine mainly come on the local roundabouts. Cars misjudge how fast a bike can go through one and pull in front.

But anyway, Surely as long as they actually saw the incident and the hit you took is all that matters. The police solicitors etc. will debate the rest....
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Spoke to the WPC who attended. She told me that the witness was under the impression that the van driver simply hadn't seen me at all, and hadn't realised he (or she) had hit me.
    Not sure if that's worse!

Sorry to hear that as I know when I was clipped & the driver said "what cyclist" to the police who traced them I was pretty upset more than if they have just not stopped. Guess in my mind if they were a coward and drove off thats one thing but if they genuinely didn't see me do my best evil kenevil impression in front of them then I'd worry the next time I was in my car let alone on the bike.

Take it the police have not been able to trace the driver yet then? Did they mention CCTV/ANPR cameras or are there none where you were knocked off?
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • No cameras, CCTV, no-one came forward and confessed. Still getting major headaches, and neck still limited rotation but that'll mend in time. Thankfully I'm a member of BC so their solicitors can hopefully get some compensation for the trashed rear wheel. Upside of it is that I just bought a brand new Felt F85 training bike as the Trek I was on will be retired to turbo only duties. I bought a bagful of lights, so I should be visible from outer space next time it's dark...
    Spent the entire Easter weekend riding, 280k / 11 hours / 14,000 ft but still got spooked a couple of times.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Well as long as your OK(ish) and looking forward not back.

Nice training bike BTW
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.