Insurance?

DJA1973
DJA1973 Posts: 9
Hi All

I'm riding in the Cyclotour Lac Leman in May which is a 180km lap of Lake Geneva but would appreciate your thoughts / advice on medical and bike insurance for the event.

The ride is in Switzerland (so not technically part of the EU) and in the event of a spill I guess I'd need to have medical insurance in place because they (The Swiss) fall outside of any pan-EU arrangements.

Also, my new bike's value exceeds the amount my household contents will cover so a steer on bike insurance would also be gratefully received.

Cheers

Comments

• maringirl
    maringirl Posts: 195
    Do through CTC - two weeks cover will only cost about £60.
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    ...but remember that your bike wont be insured if its lost between when you check it in at the airport and arriving at the other airport eg in transit. If your bike arrives in pieces then its probably covered for damage but if it doesnt arrive at all then its classed as 'unexplained theft' and no insurers will cover you for this when flying.

Be very careful about any 'theft' cover for bikes when they are not secured to an immovable object by an approved lock. Check the small print carefully etc and find out what is and isnt covered. Trust me its no fun when your pride and joy never comes off the plane with you and then you're told exactly why the expensive bike insurance you bought doesnt cover you :(
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...