Advice ref new bike

RogueViper101
RogueViper101 Posts: 3
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
I'm thinking about starting to bike to work on Fridays (Dress down day). I haven't ridden a bike for at least 5 years (since my teens). My current bike is a Kona Blast; which I have outgrown. I have only ever owned a Ridgeback and a Kona so don't really know what bikes are good now. My commute would mostly consist of road and partly through a country estate on a gravel path (5 mile commute).

I've discounted a pure road bike as I'd quite like to do a bit of light mountain biking on the weekend.

There is a local Giant bike store in the town I live; I have heard of Giant but don't really know much about them. The Giant roam series seems to fit my budget. Ideally don't want to spend any more than approx £700. I'm 6ft 4" and quite big built.

Can anyone recommend any good makes of bikes or suggest one that fits my budget?

Thanks,

Mike

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd go for a full on mountain bike. Over 5 miles commuter you are going to lose little time, but it will be massively more capable off road, and also much better specced.

Take a look at this:

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/a78430 ... tAodNHcApw

Will be lighter than the Roam too.
  • It turns out work are running a 'Cycle2Work' scheme through Halfords. I think I'd be stupid not to take advantage of the ~20% discount and the salary sacrifice.

Any particular make that Halfords offer that is better than the others? (Boardman, Apollo?). Also seems I might struggle getting a 22"+ frame; being 6ft 4" they recommend 22"+ frames which Boardman don't seem to do in their mountain bike range...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Boardman, Voodoo or Carrera (selected models - not all are great), NOT Apollo and most definately NOT NOT NOT Trax!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Dirty-Boy
    Dirty-Boy Posts: 47
    A lot of independent bike shops have signed up to Halfords Cycle2Work scheme too. It would be worth finding out which shops in your area have signed up to give you a broader range to choose from!
  • luomatey
    luomatey Posts: 3
    yeah,great, It would be worth finding out which shops in your area have signed up to give you a broader range to choose from! 12.gif