What clincher rims?

tgotb
tgotb Posts: 4,714
edited November 2013 in Track
Need to build myself a set of track wheels. They'll be used for training and racing, but if I ever become good at track (which is unlikely) I'll build myself a set of race wheels, so they don't need to be flash. I want clinchers, for convenience; will be riding mainly at Herne Hill, with the odd trip to Newport/Calshot/wherever. No intention whatsoever of riding these wheels on the road.

Any suggestions? Should I just stick to my normal Open Pro/Excellights?
Pannier, 120rpm.

Comments

• Jim C
    Jim C Posts: 333
    Open pro is a good choice. BC use them.
    Hubs- best U can afford. Start at Dura Ace and work down to planet x.
    plain gauge spokes are fine
    jc
  • tgotb
    Brilliant, many thanks!
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    I'd use butted spokes on any build I'm doing.

If you're looking for cheap hubs you could go Novatech and import them from someone trustworthy like http://www.bdopcycling.com/ (no connection apart from buying from them).

Not sure where you're based but there are a few places that do 'aero' alu rims from the Kinlin 300 up. Examples of rims manufacturers to look out for -
    Kinlin XR300
    Halo
    Velocity Deep V
    IRD Cadence Aero

Some even give you the option of choosing non-machined sidewalls which is perfect for track.
  • kilo
    kilo Posts: 174
    I went for campag record and excelllights for my "best" set, very pleased with them and not massively expensive against the cost of road wheels. For herne hill you could also use a road front wheel with a pitlock type skewer, I sometime use an old mavic cosmic front like this.
  • It some times works out cheaper to buy straight from japan. Theres a guy who sells tones of ex kerin racer gear from japan on ebay. Postage isnt that much more and the items always work out cheaper compared to track gear over here :D
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    Halo aerotracks are good value.
  • Theres a guy who sells tones of ex kerin racer gear from japan on ebay.

Do you have a link please?
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    kilo wrote:
    I went for campag record and excelllights for my "best" set, very pleased with them and not massively expensive against the cost of road wheels. For herne hill you could also use a road front wheel with a pitlock type skewer, I sometime use an old mavic cosmic front like this.
    Why only for herne hill? Do other tracks looks unfavourably on those allen-key kewers?
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • tgotb
    kilo wrote:
    Why only for herne hill? Do other tracks looks unfavourably on those allen-key kewers?
    I've heard Manchester are quite picky (for instance your axles have to be filed off flush with the nuts). At Herne Hill the only real concern is damaging other riders, whereas the indoor venues will also be worried about you damaging the track.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • alanf
    alanf Posts: 222
    Velocity, harder than a coffin lid nail and light too.
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOUGHNUTS!!!
    I like
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOUGHNUTS!!!
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    kilo wrote:

Well I've got Record hubs and Excellight rims on my best road bike :D
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava