8 Speed Front Derailleur Options

ralph_ie
ralph_ie Posts: 18
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi Guys,

My OH have has been having an issue with a stiff front derailleur on her Marin Wilcat...
http://www.marin.co.uk/2012/bikepage.php?ModNo=12WT

It's been really stiff getting to the large ring since it was new. It is simply called 'Shimano 8-speed' so is definitely at the bottom end of the quality scale!

At the weekend I upgraded the bike from some terrible cable mechanicals with integrated brakes levers and shifters to hydraulic brakes so replaced the gear shifters for stand alone units and changed the cables and outers etc leaving the only original part as the front derailler. I've taken it off, cleaned it, greased it and things have improved but you still need to put in far too much effort changing to the big ring and I've got a bigger thumb than my OH! I've checked the cable routing and the H screw doesn't appear to restricting the movement.

I'm assuming that this is all because it is just such a low quality so I'm looking to upgrade it. The issue is that there doesn't seem to be a lot of options for 8 speed front mechs other than....
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=38440
Which doesn't look to be much of an improvement if I assume price = quality.

Anybody got any suggestions for getting the current one working better or for an alternative upgrade?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Anything 9 speed will work just as well......the only difference is that the cage is slightly narrower so setup will have to be more precise to avoid rubbing.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    If it's quite easy and smooth to move the mech by hand, it must be your cable or shifter. You can check the shifter by loosening it from the mech.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • ralph_ie
    ralph_ie Posts: 18
    The shifters and cabling were all fine when disconnected and the mech was stiff Even when cleaned and greased so I'm putting it down as a poor component.

I had seen a few threads about running 8/9 speed combinations but thought an 8 speed would be the "right" solution. But given the lack of options I guess going with a good quality 9 speed and taking the time to set it up properly might be a better option than a low grade 8 speed. I guess the main issue is with rubbing on the front derailleur when at high/low end of cassette?
  • Rambo_123
    Rambo_123 Posts: 183
    just change to a bigger/smaller chainring.
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    Near constant rubbing of the chain on the front meck will be very anoying. Can you releave the tension of the spring a bit or is something bent to prevent smooth operation.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • I have a Marin and have had the same issue with the stock Altus front mech. I replaced it with a Deore (9 spd) derailleur and set it up with a bit of fine tuning ; no rubbing and it works well.

The shift to large chainring is still difficult at times. Is a cheap FSA crankset which has worn to hell as it is so soft - its next on my replacement list.
  • Dirty-Boy
    Dirty-Boy Posts: 47
    I've noticed the Alivio 9 speed mech works pretty well on 8 speed set up, although on cheaper chainsets sometimes under heavy load the flexing can cause the mech to rub on the chain