Height of seat?

Davdandy
Davdandy Posts: 571
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
Now i know this may sound dumb so please forgive me,how high does the seat need to be?

What i mean is,do you need to touch the ground while still seated or do you need to slip of the seat and rest on the main frame when standing still at traffic lights and such.

looking at other users the seats are quite high up,while mine is not but that is because i have`nt adjusted it correctly.Again,sorry for the dumb question,be kind. :D
Cannondale CAAD 8 105
Rockrider 8.1

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    This article outlines various methods:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/article/how-to-get-your-seat-height-right-14608/

However Steve Hoggs is the man:
    https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/blog/2011/02/seat-height-how-hard-can-it-be/

If you can try and get a proper bike fit from someone who knows what they're doing.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • marcusww
    marcusww Posts: 202
    I had my seat high, stretched a tendon behind my knee then got a mini bike fit just for the seat position. They lowered my seat and put it back - what a difference. Bike fit all the way.
  • Davdandy
    Thanks Grill,some useful tips there.I`ll go and give it a try.Cheers. :)
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • I really like the Hoggs article to take the average mesure out of the equation and let your experience rule.

He however didn't mention fore and aft positioning of the saddle. Which is crucial to get right along with the height.
    'Knee over spindle' is a basic indication, but there is more to that as well..

Good luck with finding your fit and don't forget to measure it all up and write it all down.

might come in handy
  • Davdandy
    I`ve had a quick alteration but the weather is lousy here,bitterly cold and windy.i am not going out in this,maybe tomorrow should bring better weather to try out the seat.Thanks guys.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    The best guide to non-racing bike fit is here.