can you stop strava auto pause

marcusww
marcusww Posts: 202
edited November 2015 in Road beginners
The Strava on the iphone obviously auto pauses when I stop.

However I am trying to find an average speed using strava over the whole ride - not taking into account stops.
I want to do this as the average speed timings on Sportives (I assume) do not take into account food stops.
I am trying to find my average speed over a similar distance to a future Sportive.

Does anyone know if and how you disable the auto pause feature on Strava?

Comments

• robertsims
    robertsims Posts: 141
    Not sure how to turn off auto pause - but Strava does give total time as well as moving time - so just divide distance by total time and that will give you avg speed
    Triban 3
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    This site is quite easy to use if you lift the overall ("Elapsed") time and distance off Strava:

http://www.machinehead-software.co.uk/b ... _calc.html
  • To answer your original question: yes, you can stop auto pause.
    Select "Record Activity" from the top-left drop-down menu, then select the settings icon (three horizontal sliders). Auto-pause is one of the settings.
    I find it weird that settings are here in a sub-menu, but there ya go.
  • To answer your original question: yes, you can stop auto pause.
    Select "Record Activity" from the top-left drop-down menu, then select the settings icon (three horizontal sliders). Auto-pause is one of the settings.

There's auto stop in the app but even if you don't have that Strava strips out stopped time once uploaded to the website.

Personally I've found if you export from Strava and into Endomondo it gives the average for the full ride including stops.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    To answer your original question: yes, you can stop auto pause.

There's auto stop in the app but even if you don't have that Strava strips out stopped time once uploaded to the website.

Personally I've found if you export from Strava and into Endomondo it gives the average for the full ride including stops.

It doesn't strip the stopped time out. If you click on analysis you can view your ride by distance or time. If you click on time all the stops can be seen and the length of time stationery
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,973
    To add a bit more detail to the way Strava calculates stopped time (so not the actual stopped time)......

"Strava considers a point "not moving" if your speed is less than 0.3 meters/sec (0.67 mph), but we don't start accumulating resting time unless you're "not moving" for at least 15 seconds".

Basically, if you are doing a lot of short stops Strava will under calculate the time the you are actually stopped.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut

• It doesn't strip the stopped time out. If you click on analysis you can view your ride by distance or time. If you click on time all the stops can be seen and the length of time stationery

That's true, but the main metric it gives is the moving time, then the total time.