Not very well thought out.

2»

Comments

• Ballysmate wrote:
    [quote="BillyMansellReally? your empirical data to back up your claims comes from the suggestion of spending an evening at a convenience store? That's the funniest example of how to misinform yourself I've seen in quite a while.

Well Billy, my missus has worked at such a store for 17 years and friends ran a store for many years. She knows all the druggies that go in and knows the customers by what they buy. eg the grants man or the cider woman, who come in each day.
    To see shoppers put food back out of their basket is pitiful, when they choose to pay for the booze instead. There are people that go to top up their gas by just a few quid, as that's all they've got and then spend nearly 8 quid on a packet of fags.
    What your partner sees in a convenience store does not make empirical data.

If I went to an ethics committee with a research proposal to review people's welfare spending based on a sample of one person giving their subjective opinion I'd get booted out the room for wasting their time, yet many of the public and politicians of all parties rely on such limited proof to justify policy or incite hatred (see David Cameron's speech yesterday on immigration as a prime example).
    If you are going to mock, please explain how it is possible to misinform yourself.

"You can absorb information and draw the wrong conclusion," is to misinform while, "deliberately imparting false information" is to malinform or disinform.
  • If I went to an ethics committee with a research proposal to review people's welfare spending based on a sample of one person giving their subjective opinion I'd get booted out the room for wasting their time, yet many of the public and politicians of all parties rely on such limited proof to justify policy or incite hatred (see David Cameron's speech yesterday on immigration as a prime example).
    Just out of interest, what would you do about the welfare budget?
    Mangeur
  • asquithea
    asquithea Posts: 145
    Just thought I'd chip in to point out that HB is currently already paid to the tenant for those who are renting from private landlords (and started their tenancy post-2008).

Currently, a tenant can ask for the rent to be paid directly to a LL, or it happens automatically if the tenant is 8 weeks or more in arrears, or the council take a view that it would be best paid directly (presumably from past history).

LandlordZone has quite a good forum for both landlords and tenants where this sort of thing is discussed, and I recommend posting there if you're likely to be affected: http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/fo ... LHA-DSS%29

Apparently the new rules supersede the arrangements for getting HB paid to the LL, but realistically there will probably have to be a similar arrangement in place by the time the new rules kick in, or shortly after lots of rent is shown to be unpaid!

If you are a LL currently being directly paid HB, you will apparently get a letter 3 months before the tenant goes onto Universal Benefit.

For private LLs, the Section 8 eviction route allows proceedings to start once a tenant is 8 weeks / 2 months in arrears. However, as with non-HB tenants, it can take up to six months to actually get a non-paying tenant to leave - the courts take their time and don't like to kick a tenant out without giving them a decent chance to sort things out.