Max speeds

Comments

• danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    goonz wrote:
    I'm interested to know would I be able to hit a higher top speed if my bike was fitted with a triple rather than compact gearing?

Damn, that's where I am going wrong, I'll stick a triple on the TT bike :lol:
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    danowat wrote:
    goonz wrote:
    I'm interested to know would I be able to hit a higher top speed if my bike was fitted with a triple rather than compact gearing?

You learn something new everyday ;)
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    danowat wrote:
    goonz wrote:

If only they made Q-Rings for triples! Looks like you'll have to call Fibre-Lyte and get them to knock something up for ya ;)
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Grill wrote:
    danowat wrote:
    goonz wrote:

If only they made Q-Rings for triples! Looks like you'll have to call Fibre-Lyte and get them to knock something up for ya ;)

I'm on it :lol:
    :wink:
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    I can reach 38MPH for about 5-10 seconds on my bike (on the flat), but cannot physically go any faster than that.

On my dad's bike (Giant TCR Comp 1) I've easily reached 40MPH on the flat for 15 seconds and could have gone faster, but I couldn't be bothered. I loved the fact that the effort that I put in was actually being put towards making the bike go faster!

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • this is my fastest yet on a flat http://app.strava.com/activities/45635020#785612141 23mph

going to try it again later so i may need to update this lol
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    declan1 wrote:
    I can reach 38MPH for about 5-10 seconds on my bike (on the flat), but cannot physically go any faster than that.

On my dad's bike (Giant TCR Comp 1) I've easily reached 40MPH on the flat for 15 seconds and could have gone faster, but I couldn't be bothered. I loved the fact that the effort that I put in was actually being put towards making the bike go faster!

:shock:
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    diy wrote:
    Living in a valley - its very hard to find flat. I've pulled 53-55mph on the MTB (off road), not managed over about 43-45 on the road bike. I just don't feel as confident with the skinny tyres and weak brakes.

I'm the opposite; off road my peak is about 40 mph downhill, but on road I think I have done over 50. I find there is so much going on at speed off road my self-preservation kicks in.
  • davep1
    Grill wrote:
    I'm more diesel than petrol as I don't put out much power (around 260W for a 10), but I can hold around 20mph pretty much indefinitely. On sprints I've seen mid 30s, but the lactic acid buildup is almost immediate and I can't hold it. At least I recover quickly though.

This is depressing me! I have a challenge route (personal) that is 7 miles and I want to do it under 20 mins. I have managed 21 mins several times but I am absolutely done in at the end. This is solo, and the route is fairly flat; my fitness is improving so I think I will be able to do it eventually, but not yet.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Keep at it dude, I'm sure you'll get there soon.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Grill wrote:
    Keep at it dude, I'm sure you'll get there soon.

Fastest I had on a flat was about 30mph. On one uphill I managed to hold nearly 30 for a few seconds but that was only because I was slipstreaming a bus. Fastest downhill was 50mph down an 18% slope, felt like I was cycling down a cliff.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,063
    I was looking at a Strava segment on a cycle way near me the other day. There's a slight drag of about 3 - 5% and the fastest recorded ride on there was over 46mph. Obviously something was wrong but as it isn't wide enough for a car and remote from the road I couldn't work out what had happened. Then it dawned on me that the railway line runs parallel, I checked the whole ride and it had a top speed in excess of 90mph and coincidentally followed the railway line the way.
  • declan1
    Pross wrote:
    I was looking at a Strava segment on a cycle way near me the other day. There's a slight drag of about 3 - 5% and the fastest recorded ride on there was over 46mph. Obviously something was wrong but as it isn't wide enough for a car and remote from the road I couldn't work out what had happened. Then it dawned on me that the railway line runs parallel, I checked the whole ride and it had a top speed in excess of 90mph and coincidentally followed the railway line the way.

I presume you've now flagged it?

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• houston26
    houston26 Posts: 115
    Actually something I wanted to ask and this thread reminded me, what would be more accurate, a cateye strada cycle computer or an iPhone 4S with strava? They both have conflicting speeds, but both have the same distance travelled.

Cc says 38.4 mph, strava says 41. I know I was goin quick downhill but I wasn't overtaking traffic so doubted I was over 35
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    houston26 wrote:
    Actually something I wanted to ask and this thread reminded me, what would be more accurate, a cateye strada cycle computer or an iPhone 4S with strava? They both have conflicting speeds, but both have the same distance travelled.

Cc says 38.4 mph, strava says 41. I know I was goin quick downhill but I wasn't overtaking traffic so doubted I was over 35
    If your wheel diameter is set correctly the Cateye is going to be reliable over a phone/app
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    goonz wrote:
    It seems there are quite a lot of racers on BR and pretty much everyone is on Strava so I was interested to find out what peoples max speeds are on a flat.
    Not a racer, but a sustainable cruising speed for me on the flat (not that much flat round here) is 16-18mph. If I push it I can get that to 20-21mph, but not for long. Faster than that requires some gravity assistance :lol:
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,063
    declan1 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

I presume you've now flagged it?

Of course, I'm not far off KOM without it :lol:
  • smithy05
    smithy05 Posts: 114
    Not sure I could get to 40mph that easily. I did this sprint near my house the other day and got KOM on it, averaging 52km/h a long it and topping out at 61.

http://app.strava.com/activities/49259109#867581293

I am much better suited to that sort of riding than climbing however, being 6ft 5 and 90kg!
  • davep1
    Inspired by this thread I have just done an hour at 18.4 mph on the quiet Sussex lanes near me, preceded by an hour at 16.3 mph into the wind. It's given me PBs on 13 out of 18 segments on the ride. Good day in the saddle! :)
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    declan1 wrote:

:lol:

Yeah yeah
  • Didn't you know that only carbon bikes turn your effort into speed? ;)

I on the other hand was doing 4-11mph at one point the other day going down a 15% (IIRC) that I train on often; descending above 40mph is very easy. My cycle computer is broken as well. :lol:
  • declan1
    Zoomer37 wrote:
    declan1 wrote:

Yeah yeah

Seriously, I was. I couldn't quite believe it myself. I've tried it on my Viking but couldn't get above 38 :(

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• declan1 wrote:
    Zoomer37 wrote:
    declan1 wrote:

Yeah yeah

Seriously, I was. I couldn't quite believe it myself. I've tried it on my Viking but couldn't get above 38 :(

This guy isnt shittin you! I have seen his penis, its bloody huge!
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Now you need to explain :lol:
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • declan1
    NeXXus wrote:
    Now you need to explain :lol:

LOL

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• declan1
    When did I say I didn't have a tail wind? :P

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• Neale1978
    Neale1978 Posts: 484
    65.6 mph is the fastest speed on my current bicycle
  • esafosfina1
    esafosfina1 Posts: 153
    92kph... jumping off the wheel of the motor-bike whilst motor-pacing! Couldn't hold it for more than 50 or 60m but felt pretty good almost spinning-out the 53x11. Fastest on a mountain descent was in Spain... hit 104kph. Fastest behind the derny on the track, about 85kph... well dodgy with double discs in on an outdoor track (Seoul, 1988). Nowadays I'm rapt if I get above 20mph! :D
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Pros and semi pros are not counted. Only humans are allowed to comment on here :)
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875