Winter Gloves

Thewaylander
Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hey guys,

With no end of winter in sight currently and my inability to ride in real cold weather due to terrible circilation in my hands (and no winter gloves) i'm going to spend some cash dum dum dum.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=60306

Initial thoughts ont he Fox anti freeze but any one else got some suggestions for ones i should be looking at?

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I had Fox Antifreeze gloves. Certainly warm enough but it's like riding in boxing gloves!
    Gore Windstoppers have been my winter glove for the last two years. They are expensive but after two years they are still like new, they are warm enough but nice and light. I have even been using them for winter DH races, they give enough feel for controlled braking and feel for what the bike is doing where most winter gloves are too thick.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Endura strike are nice....comfy, warm and yet you can feel what's going on just fine. Can be had for about £30. Having said that I run hot and you may need more insulation that I do.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    The aldi winter gloves are great thick good padding and i use them all over winter with no cold fingers , best of all £5 a pair you dont need to spend a fortune.
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • Thewaylander
    Hey guys,

Well i run with really cold hands, so definately on the warmer scale is good for me. I'd rather not go aldi i would rather something that last and though there gear is bargain i find it tends to get destroyed pretty fast.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You won't get Aldi winter until Autumn anyway......I guess tarbot forgot that bit.

Try some strike at your LBS.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    The Endura winter gloves I have have survived a couple of slides down tarmac and do a good job of keeping my hands warm. However, I find the palm pads are badly placed for me and actually restrict circulation to my thumbs. It's a problem I find on many gloves with 'gel' type palm pads (I much prefer a seamless palm area).

Had I of had the option at the time of purchasing, I'd have gone with the Anti-Freeze.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • 661 storms have been great for me, keep my hands warm enough. Not waterproof though.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Endura Deluge have been doing it for me. Waterproof, warm and still just about enough feel.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Hey guys,

Well i run with really cold hands, so definitely on the warmer scale is good for me. I'd rather not go aldi i would rather something that last and though there gear is bargain i find it tends to get destroyed pretty fast.

+1 for the aldi ones. i have some enduras which are good up to a point, but for the really cold weather i've been using the aldi specials and they're still going strong :)
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    I have the sealskins winter gloves. Frankly they are too hot and I've only worn them a couple of times because of this. Indeed, they were even too hot for sledging the other day! May suit you though if it's warm your after.
  • zanush
    zanush Posts: 161
    I get raynaud's and riding in the cold is very unpleasant, i've tried the aldi specials and for me they are as much use as a chocolate fireguard. I've ended up using some altura nightvision windproof and waterproof gloves with liner glove, still not quite warm enough but they were on offer ^^.
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    I have been using the same Aldi winter gloves for 3 years on my daily 20 mile commute , apart from the velcro fastener worn out they are like new and keep your hands warm even today. I did have the same ones years before these and they were just as good .
  • Fox anti freeze gloves are 30 pound at hargroves cycles in medium or large and free delivery
    1996 GT Borrego - 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Expert - 2010 Specialized enduro expert
  • zanush
    zanush Posts: 161
    Fox anti freeze gloves are 30 pound at hargroves cycles in medium or large and free delivery
    Typical small out of stock...i've only got ickle hands and would have given them a try for the price :/
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95
  • I would go next size up anyway they are quite tight
    1996 GT Borrego - 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Expert - 2010 Specialized enduro expert
  • second the aldi gloves. If you dont have a aldi nearby then check lidl sometime..they occasionally do fantastic stuff for bikes.
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    I tend to wear two pairs. One pair of marino wool and one pair Aldi/trekking leather, this is more variable.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I brought some from ebay for around £14.99 to replace my walking gloves there pretty beast

insulated padded inside water proof and windproof outside
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    Fox Anti-freeze keep you warm but are very sweaty and if it's not 3 below zero with extra windchill I'd not sue them, too warm unless it's colder than that!
  • Thewaylander
    Got for them at £30 ased ont he fact that i run much colder than anyone i know, and don't really feal heat that much. so even if they are hot it wont particularly register :)
  • For something different I've just got a pair of Endura FS260 Nemo neoprene gloves. After years of using bulkier winter gloves like Sealskinz I thought I'd give them a try.

The feel is much better since they are pretty thin and tight. So far I've used them on about 7 or 8 bad weather rides including full-on wading through snow drifts and they've done really well. Since neoprene insulates by keeping the air inside the glove warm and moist you will get wrinkly fingers on longer rides and if you take them off it will take a while to warm up again but so far I've found my hands to be much more comfortable on rides than with the bigger winter gloves. As an added bonus you can even use these as an inner glove or liner under another roomier glove.

A point on sizing though, as with most Endura stuff you tend to need to go one size up from your normal sizing. I usually go with large gloves but for these went up to an XL and they fit perfectly.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Anybody mention the planet x deluge gloves? Really warm, waterproof and £15. Nice.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.