Cranksets: Shimano XT/SLX vs. SRAM X5/X7/X9

Giraffoto
Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
I'm steadily collecting the parts for my next bike, and now it's time to consider cranks. The requirement is fairly straightforward, 38/26 or 39/26 double to fit in a conventional threaded BB. In the Shimano range we have the XT and SLX offerings with Hollowtech BBs, whereas SRAM has X5, X7 and X9 with GXP.

Is one of the BB designs inherently better than the other, and if so, why? I'm mainly concerned with resistance to mud and/or dust and would like it to be something I only need to check occasionally

Are either Shimano or SRAM cranks better in terms of (1) staying attached to the axle (2) longevity of the paint/finish or (3) weight? This is for XC use so I figure strength and rigidity won't be an issue for me
Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
XM-057 rigid 29er

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    SLX is still hard to beat for weight, durability and value. Main difference with XT is lighter weight rings, but those aren't necessarily worth the premium over SLX. I've been consistently getting 18 months or more from BB70 (SLX/XT) BBs. Shimano BBs below SLX are rubbish though. Can't comment om SRAM , althought I have a set of S1400s (non-series, between X7 and X9) lying around that I haven't found a use for yet and they seem ok.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    SLX cranks with the latest XT bottom bracket. I have been bashing the crap out of my SLX for 2 and a 1/2 years now and the big ring is still in good condition. The granny ring lasted 18 months and was changed with some life still on it. The original SLX BB lasted just short of a year but the replacement XT BB is still sweet as a nut and spins with no graunching.

X9 cranksets are great, solid and not to heavy but the GXP BBs are still not in the same league as Shimano XT in my opinion. I had an X9 crankset on my Canyon and the 1st BB lasted 3 months, the 2nd lasted 3 months had the BB shell checked for true and it was fine, fitted the SLX from my hardtail and no problem for last year and a bit.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As stated, GXP BB's have a poor rep for longevity, shame as the crankset itself is just as good although they tend to suffer heelrub (visual effect) worse than Shimano which are shaped to minimise the effect.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    My shimano deore cranks (XT bb) really suffer from heel rub, they almost look like SLX cranks now.
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    Greer_ wrote:
    My shimano deore cranks (XT bb) really suffer from heel rub, they almost look like SLX cranks now.

Do what i do with an innertube. Problem solved:

IMG_1150.jpg
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Your cranks are already silver! Doesn't count!

But I prefer the worn look, to wrapping everything up!