men from the boys

pease
pease Posts: 150
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
Come on then who braved the cold sleet and snow showers for a ride today?

I did and despite there being not ice or settled snoe it was definitely the coldest ride id ever had. Thankfully yesterday's purchase of decathlon silk lining gloves helped keep me alive. 20miles done which is the longest so far this year , and definitely the most enjoyable. It was dead quiet literally only saw 3 other cyclists/groups. Wind was a struggle when it was head on but I got back and wanted more. Sadly swmbo and the kids were waiting as we had other commitments. Maybe next time eh?
Insert witty signature here

Comments

• Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Have you not spotted the identical thread on this that is three pages long?

I'm road general.
  • pease
    pease Posts: 150
    Doh! Nope as only just logged in with phone
    Insert witty signature here
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Afraid im not man enough,2ft of snow and as a rural person the local farmer didn,t do a good job of clearing snow.
    Took over 2hrs to dig the car out though,now that was a work out.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Talking about separating men from boys but going out to ride with your silk lined gloves?! :)

Try cycling everyday just under 20 miles for a commute. Man enough for you?
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Snow? What snow?
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    From the other thread that you did not read.
    smidsy wrote:
    Skeets wrote:
    daviegb wrote:
    Managed to do some hill climbing around Cheddar Gorge - 4,500 feet in 33 miles. Was bitterly cold with a biting wind, but well worth getting out!
    Was out today ,rode up past chew Valley lakes , some back roads, then on top of Burrington .-3.6 ! Decided to ride down Burrington then back up cheddar gorge, bad move as I went down hard on ice heading down Burrington , slid for ages, road rash, damaged bar tape , holed the saddle , bent the rear hanger in , so that was the end of my ride . Kind folk in the house opposite took me in for a warm cuppa while I waited for a lift. Seen a few guys walking there bikes up the hill because of the ice . Bad move/cost on my day out . Roll on majorca in a few weeks !

And that is the only answer anyone needs to see to prove that all this 'bigger balls' stuff is just tripe.

Snow and Ice are a recipe for disaster so STFAH!.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    smidsy wrote:
    From the other thread that you did not read.
    smidsy wrote:
    Skeets wrote:
    daviegb wrote:
    Managed to do some hill climbing around Cheddar Gorge - 4,500 feet in 33 miles. Was bitterly cold with a biting wind, but well worth getting out!
    Was out today ,rode up past chew Valley lakes , some back roads, then on top of Burrington .-3.6 ! Decided to ride down Burrington then back up cheddar gorge, bad move as I went down hard on ice heading down Burrington , slid for ages, road rash, damaged bar tape , holed the saddle , bent the rear hanger in , so that was the end of my ride . Kind folk in the house opposite took me in for a warm cuppa while I waited for a lift. Seen a few guys walking there bikes up the hill because of the ice . Bad move/cost on my day out . Roll on majorca in a few weeks !

And that is the only answer anyone needs to see to prove that all this 'bigger balls' stuff is just tripe.

Snow and Ice are a recipe for disaster so STFAH!.

+1
    I have no problems with the cold, the wet and the wind.
    But I fear ice (especially black ice) in a big way!
  • dai_t75
    dai_t75 Posts: 189
    Made it out yesterday and today.

Yesterday was pretty good - bit of snow on the top of the hills (Bwlch and Rhigos), but the roads had been gritted and were not frozen. The descents were cold but bearable.

Today was a different story! Went up the Bwlch again from the other side this time. Had a headwind going all the way up and it was horrible. Got near the top and the road was covered in compacted snow so had to get off and walk for a bit. The road was clear for a small stretch along the top and the descent. Problem was I was absolutely freezing by this point. It's safe to say it's the coldest my fingers have ever been and it was bloody painful :shock:

I didn't do this to be Billy Big Balls - apart from the top of the hills there has been zero snow around here and I assumed the roads would be clear (which they were for the most part). Might need to invest in better gloves come next winter :P
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I did 20 miles yesterday too, but it was just cold (very) around here.
    I am not sure if it is more or less manly but I took the MTB to do a road ride :shock:
    I could not face cleaning the road bike and I have a big local event coming up so needed to get back on the MTB and check out how horrible hybrid tyres are on tarmac!
  • ThatBikeGuy
    ThatBikeGuy Posts: 394
    Did a 40 miler with the club, no big deal. Strong easterly but where theres a headwind theres a tailwind which meant the return leg home was rather enjoyable. :)
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Did a 40 miler with the club, no big deal. Strong easterly but where theres a headwind theres a tailwind which meant the return leg home was rather enjoyable. :)

If only this were true...
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Grill wrote:

If only this were true...

On my way to work I get a headwind and on my way home, I also get a headwind.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Move jobs :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425