I feel so .........

Fil6914
Fil6914 Posts: 74
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
Well to be honest I don't know how I feel, probably deflated is apt

I've just been out on the kona for the first time in over a year, and yes it's freezing and yes it's fairly windy but I only did seven miles and in all honesty my backside couldn't take any more lol.

So I'm now thinking its not the flash bike that makes a good ride, the carbon this the carbon that, it's not having a fantastic fitness level able to ride miles and miles or climbing a mountain as though its not there, it's just having a backside thats can stand the saddle for hours at a time.

Is it just a case of time in the saddle the hardens your bits up as I was wearing proper cycle shorts but they didn't seem to help

Phil
Road - Giant Defy 0
Road - carrera virtuoso
MTB - Kona cindercone MTB 1997

Comments

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,628
    Firstly..... Well done for getting out, it's flipping freezing!

Anyway, you know the solution, give it a month and everything will fall into place, including your backside.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Rather you than me, I saw your weather forecast :shock:

Increased fitness will improve your posture on the bike, more strength in your legs, arms and torso will make you lighter in the saddle, carrying your own weight rather than sitting like a sack of spuds (could have worded that more kindly!). Think about supporting your stomach this will swivel your pelvis more and move your sit bones up.

Time will lessen the pain in your sit bones, it will go eventually, try to move around more, standing occasionally, consciously supporting with your legs taking your weight off the saddle.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • im in the same boat as you!

only got the bike on thursday, did 8 miles and bum was in bits, i got decent bib shorts too, anyway friday saturday snow was too much and my bum was still in bits even to walking it hurt..., but today the roads where practically dry so i decided to go out, again only 8/9miles and the first 10mins where agony with my bum, but i soon forgot about it and didnt feel it and few hrs since the ride its still tender not not half as much, i think the trick is to condition your bum more you do it the less it hurts
  • Fil6914
    I'm gonna ask our lass to massage mine when she gets in..... So next question is whats good for black eyes lol
    Road - Giant Defy 0
    Road - carrera virtuoso
  • vmaxphil
    vmaxphil Posts: 20
    2-3 nights down the blueoyster club will sort you out :shock:
    only joking it takes a wile to get used to a saddle if you have a turbo use that as it's more intense than on the road
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    You'll soon get used to it. If you ride regularly, it soon doesn't hurt any more.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Fil6914
    That's good to know that its just a matter of time before it stops hurting, I have used the gym exercise bikes and spinning bikes 3/4 times a week since January so was a little surprised it hurt so much so quickly.

Onwards and upwards, next ride Tuesday evening if weather plays ball

Phil
    Road - Giant Defy 0
    Road - carrera virtuoso
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    Here's the answer, though slows you down on TT races.

http://realseat.com/index.html
  • Woodywmb wrote:
    Here's the answer, though slows you down on TT races.

http://realseat.com/index.html

I think that saddle is even too big for J-Lo :mrgreen:
  • Buckie2k5
    Buckie2k5 Posts: 600
    Specialized-RealSeat-Bicycle-Seat-449x600.jpg
  • gubber12345
    gubber12345 Posts: 493
    Fil6914 wrote:
    I'm gonna ask our lass to massage mine when she gets in..... So next question is whats good for black eyes lol
    heparin ointment.....(dont ask how i know that :P :lol: )
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • Kellym82
    Kellym82 Posts: 5
    Definitely gets better! I've just got my first road bike but have been riding my trusty hybrid on well-surfaced trails for a few months, and I was so sore after even 5 mile rides at first! This weekend I did a 10 mile, 14 mile and 21 mile in 3 consecutive days, and it only hurt towards the end (and that's because it was a borrowed saddle so I wasn't used to the shape!).

Stick at it, little and often, and it will get better :) To get in to my new bike I'm doing 5 miles each day for a week (no long ride) until I know the saddle is a good fit and it's all set up correctly.
  • Several pairs of pants seems to do the trick for me. Betty swallocks, sure, but it soothes the pain.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Does anyone else see this thread title and instantly have the next line to the song burst into the ears?

in-arr in-arr in-arr in-arrrr- - - - ticulate....

News Of the World; Shear Heart Attack. 1977. It's good being > 30 - we had all the best stuff back then. :wink:
  • pride4ever
    pride4ever Posts: 510
    Fil6914 wrote:
    Well to be honest I don't know how I feel, probably deflated is apt

I've just been out on the kona for the first time in over a year, and yes it's freezing and yes it's fairly windy but I only did seven miles and in all honesty my backside couldn't take any more lol.

So I'm now thinking its not the flash bike that makes a good ride, the carbon this the carbon that, it's not having a fantastic fitness level able to ride miles and miles or climbing a mountain as though its not there, it's just having a backside thats can stand the saddle for hours at a time.

Is it just a case of time in the saddle the hardens your bits up as I was wearing proper cycle shorts but they didn't seem to help

Phil

Lol the ass like the legs gets tougher with the miles. It will get easier but you have to put up with some pain first. It could be worse you could be sitting on my full carbon, rock hard, no give 90g Hylix saddle lol.
    598477_213022142176155_1141537926_n_zpsded0ca74.jpg
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.