Lakeland Loop

Anyone know what nutrition they provide at Lakeland Loop? I.e. what gels/sports drink etc? Wondering what to expect at the feed stations...

Comments

• Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Cakes, sweets, banana's and either water or a diluted sport drink(and hot drinks) was available the last 3 years. As its only 70miles I only needed to stop once and you don't need to haul any extra weight up Hardknott/Wrynose so go don't fill up both bottles towards the end. :wink:
    Brian B.
  • markynulty
    markynulty Posts: 409
    Just received the email from the organisers stating that if the roads are not clear then the reserve date is the 21st of April. Is anyone local to the area able to confirm the current conditions? Are we talking about feet of snow which need to melt or is it more of a precaution for ice etc? Cheers!
  • DavidBut
    DavidBut Posts: 13
    I live in Broughton in Furness so am local, i've entered the Loop and for training was planning to go over Birker fell to Eskdale and over Hardknott and was told that Birker is impassable, so I'm guessing that Hardknott and Wrynose would also be impassable. I was out on Wednesday and met snow drifts of over 3 feet, at a lot lower than Hardknott. There's a lot of snow and either it won't melt so will be impassable, or it will melt and the snow from the fells will run onto the road and then freeze overnight.

Looking at the forecast I can't see it all melting, but I may be wrong, put it this way, I'm not too distressed that I haven't done enough training...

David
  • A friend was walking up Hardknott today and took these photos:

http://54north-3west.blogspot.co.uk/

Will be surprised if it clears in time.
    “Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” Hunter S Thompson
  • nammynake
    nammynake Posts: 196
    It has been cancelled. I just received the following e-mail:

After reviewing the course over the weekend, we've made the difficult decision to postpone the event to the weekend of April 21st. Due to the nature of the weather affecting the course, the potential issues parking on the fields and the cold temperatures forecast this week, the event will now take place from Keswick Rugby Club. The route for the event will be as follows:

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2278417

*Should the bad weather continue all the way through to April 21st and the passes are still not safe, an alternative course will be planned, avoiding Wrynose and Harknott but the event will go ahead on the 21st.

It has been a difficult decision for us, in particular because the start and finish at the New Dungeon Ghyll is one of the most stunning settings in the UK. To account for this we will re-run the event on Sunday August 11th from it's original venue. August will then become the regular annual date for the event from this location.

The options are as follows:

1. Join us on April 21st from Keswick

2. Join us on August 11th from Great Langdale

3. Transfer to the Cumbrian Cracker on November 17th from Grasmere

We will change the SI entry system, thereby allowing you to log in and choose your option from Wednesday 3rd April at the latest. We would then ask you to make your choice before Sunday 7th to allow us to plan car parking, feed stations and other resources prior to the 21st. As soon as this function is available, we will email all competitors.

Once again it would be greatly appreciated if you could hold back from sending email requests until we have the options in place on the SI system. Our priority was to contact you as early as possible to allow you time to plan ahead.

Our apologies for the inconvenience, we will be in contact soon, enjoy the rest of the bank holiday!

Regards

Epic Events
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    Great photo's of Hardknott 8)
    I'll be opting for the original route on 11th August. Snow should be gone by then :)
  • mr_joe0606
    mr_joe0606 Posts: 104
    essjaydee wrote:
    Great photo's of Hardknott 8)
    I'll be opting for the original route on 11th August. Snow should be gone by then :)

think i will be doing it then to.
  • markynulty
    Think I may do the 21st April one from Keswick as this ride was meant to be a warm up for the Fred Whitton for me. Looks like the route from Keswick has more climbing aswell.
  • markynulty
    Also looks like the Keswick starting route climbs honnister instead of whinlater I think. Hmmm decisions.
  • DavidBut
    DavidBut Posts: 13
    Newlands, not Honister.