Tyre size question

♠ChumBucket♠
♠ChumBucket♠ Posts: 388
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
Please excuse my naivety coming from MTB an' all that.

My new road bike will come with 23 tyres, can I replace them with 25 if I wish to do so?

I will need to fit puncture resistant tyres of some sort from the off set & given the state of the roads where I ride, thought 25's might give a little extra comfort?
B'TWIN Triban 5A
Ridgeback MX6

Comments

• Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Yes and yes
  • Scrumple wrote:
    Yes and yes

Thanks Scrumple, much appreciated. :wink:
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Only caveat is mudguards. 25s can sometimes be a tight fit if you have a race geometry frame and have to use cruds etc.
  • Thanks, I'll bear that in mind. :wink:
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Also bear in mind that whilst some tires are slightly better at resisting punctures, there is no such thing as a puncture proof tire. The other day I picked up a stranded cyclist as I passed in my car, they had been told that Gatorskins were "puncture proof" and therefore had gone out with no spare tubes/pump etc.

As a MTBer you probably know this already. But remember with road bikes you can be 40 miles from from home pretty easily.
  • Gizmodo wrote:
    Also bear in mind that whilst some tires are slightly better at resisting punctures, there is no such thing as a puncture proof tire. The other day I picked up a stranded cyclist as I passed in my car, they had been told that Gatorskins were "puncture proof" and therefore had gone out with no spare tubes/pump etc.

As a MTBer you probably know this already. But remember with road bikes you can be 40 miles from from home pretty easily.

Yeah thanks.

My MTB standard tyres were puncturing almost every ride (maxis somethings) they're paper thin! I bought some continental semi-slick (puncture resistant) last year & in approx 800 miles only got ONE puncture. :wink:

I always carry a spare tube & repair kit. :)
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6