HTC owners...

DanDax1990
DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
edited May 2013 in The hub
So who here owns HTC's? Or anything running on Android really?

Getting the new HTC One when it finally get's released, Looks amazing.

Gadget geek for life! lmao.

Comments

• Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    My experience, awesome phones ,

Terrible battery life.

That said, i would probably upgrade to the HTC One because my One X is so good (apart from the battery).
  • herb71
    herb71 Posts: 253
    Still use my Desire as a pay as you go emergency phone and for running strava. Prefer it to my iPhone if I'm honest.
  • Barrelmaker
    Barrelmaker Posts: 188
    I've got a one x plus, it was supposed to have increased battery life over the one x, its still poor. But, I would still get another htc. Its very slick especially running jellybean. And the phone was free!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I have a Sony Xperia S on Android 4.0.4. Battery life is crap, but most are with these big screens. And the screen is a belter, just about the best resolution available.

£17 a month on Vodaphone, free handset.
  • DanDax1990
    The battery life's aren't very good, I agree. But my phone lasts me throughout the day (HTC Sensation) for the screen size etc the life isn't that bad, To say they're like mini computers lol.

Been using HTC's since I first got a HTC Hero (T-Mobile G2 Touch) and I love them. So much better than iPhones etc.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Was always a HTC fan....until my experience with the Desire HD. Took 3 replacements before I got a phone which was assembled properly and then within 3 months the 4th phone's speaker packed up.

Sent it to HTC for repair - it was close to 3 months before I had use of my phone again.

Shambles. Never again.

Still love Android though - Galaxy S3 for me at the moment. Cracking bit of kit.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • DanDax1990
    Was the Desire HD on contract or?

Only problems I've had are through work getting metal filings in the speaker grills, called Orange and got free replacements even though was my fault... 4 times lmao.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Had an HTC Trophy on WP7.3, was pretty good, but not a patch on a Galaxy S3, once the battery was getting 'old' (2.5 years) it failed to the point a full charge gave 20mins of use!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    nexus 4 in stock buy the phone and get a cheap pay monthly contract, biggest saving made and phone is sweet certainly better than andything released last year, though there are some better phones coming this year there vastly moer expensive for a relatively small gain.
  • DanDax1990
    It's all about the new HTC One. Nothing will compete with that.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    If i'm honest i still rather the Nexus for having an unmodified upto date version of andriod.
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    DanDax1990 wrote:

The battery is supposedly dodgy on that too.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    HTC desire here, rooted and whatnot, running CM7. Still works very nicely, CM7 is night and day compared to the original OS, none of the HTC bloat.
  • One thing to watch out for as well - make sure all of your personal content is backed up regularly! The wife has a One S and had terrible problems with the first 2 handsets. Both died randomly and would not power back on. Normally this wouldn't be a problem as you would just take the memory card out or replace the battery. Unfortunately both are built in so you can't replace either!

She lost some family photos that she had taken the week before and was really upset. I have now set up an automatic cloud backup thingy on the latest replacement just in case it goes wonky again.

The other PITA is the micro SIM. Its fine until the phone carrier tell you to stick your SIM in an old phone while yours is being repaired. Quite difficult when all other handsets we had knocking around took a normal SIM :-( She was without a phone for a number of weeks while they sorted her problems out.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    My Desire S is coming up for replacement... Needed a new battery after a year, but it's been ace otherwise. Sure there's better phones but it still feels like it's from the future to me :lol: Crap camera is all.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • snowjho
    snowjho Posts: 108
    If i'm honest i still rather the Nexus for having an unmodified upto date version of andriod.

Love my nexus 4. Incredible VFM. I love not having a long term contract.
  • Daz555
    Me too.Sadly the paltry 10GB or so of storage on the top end Nexus ruled it out for me.

Thankfully the Galaxy S3 has a great custom ROM scene.
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    I have a HTC Desire C and im really really happy with it. Would recommend HTC.

My brother has the One X and the phone is the best phone ive ever seen. The camera especially is out of this world. the One is probably going to be bloody amazing.

+1 for HTC from me :)
  • Daz555
    DanDax1990 wrote:
    No expandable storage and no swappable battery means it is a complete no go for me.
  • acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    I've had a One x since it was released last year. shit battery, still a great phone. It was fully charged at 17:30 yesterday, after a long night out there was 10% remaining this morning. Doh!
    Had a iPhone4 previously. awaiting to see the next iPhone otherwise I reckon we'll see an updated hTC One around Sept/Oct like they did with the One x+
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • shdaxner
    shdaxner Posts: 249
    I have had HTC's before i then had a Samsung Galaxy S when first released and didn't like it at all so i gave it to my partner and bought an iPhone 4 instead and have never looked back really, i had the 4 for 2 years and the battery life was still lasting a good day each charge and just the general usage of the phone was no slower than when i first bought it. I now have the iPhone 5 and although there isn't much change from the 4 i still think its a hard to beat phone.

I have always found that the HTC's and other android phones get clogged up and start getting sluggish and crashing whereas the iPhones don't.

I have never had to remove battery or turn my iPhone off for crashing whereas i know with the Galaxy S and the Sensation XE which my partner currently has, she has had to resort to these measures.
  • Thereldi
    Thereldi Posts: 3
    Daz555 wrote:
    Was always a HTC fan....until my experience with the Desire HD. Took 3 replacements before I got a phone which was assembled properly and then within 3 months the 4th phone's buy speakers packed up.

Sent it to HTC for repair - it was close to 3 months before I had use of my phone again.

Shambles. Never again.

Still love Android though - Galaxy S3 for me at the moment. Cracking bit of kit.
    These are awesome phones makes our life so easy. Life without android is nothing
  • Daz555
    Thereldi wrote:
    These are awesome phones makes our life so easy. Life without android is nothing
    I like my droid but life was easier without mobile phones.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Desire S here, I keep it in a hard case and that but it's still broken 3 times - next phone will be whichever Samsung Galaxy S model is most affordable...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bwfc4eva868
    bwfc4eva868 Posts: 717
    HTC One S here and I absolutely love it. Fantastic camera, great sound for mp3's (320k quality) with Sennheiser CX300's. Very quick when running games and internet browsing. Very good screen, although not as good as the Missus's Galaxy S3. Battery life is anything from 17 Hours at its worst to the best being 1 day and 10 hours. That's with Wi - Fi on all day and gps set to on all the time. Battery life improved when I updated the Android version to 4.1.2.

This is my first HTC and im very impressed and its a tough decision when I upgrade August next year, it won me over from the S3 mainly as I wanted good music quality and its just a bit better than the S3. Plus the contract was £5 a month cheaper.
  • tudj
    tudj Posts: 254
    People are slating the battery on the One, have you used the phone? I just went away for the weekend, the phone was charged Friday morning and I had 20% left when I got home on Sunday evening... :)

I've had it about 2 weeks now and love it! The only thing I don't like is the Blinkfeed nonsense but I've just set a different screen as 'home'.
  • DanDax1990
    I get mine tomorrow :D Not worried about the battery life. People need to understand smartphones take a lot of battery usage!

If you know how to use one properly then battery life is fine, Screen brightness etc.

Plus who in this day and age doesn't charge their phone pretty much every day/night? And most people can charge them at work etc.
  • tudj
    tudj Posts: 254
    DanDax1990 wrote:
    I get mine tomorrow :D Not worried about the battery life. People need to understand smartphones take a lot of battery usage!

If you know how to use one properly then battery life is fine, Screen brightness etc.

Plus who in this day and age doesn't charge their phone pretty much every day/night? And most people can charge them at work etc.

I've found the one's complaining about phone battery lives in general usually have the brightness on 100%, Wifi, bluetooth etc running all of the time. Be sensible :P

The One really is ace, I'd recommend a case though, I dropped mine a few days after I got it and although they can take some abuse I bricked myself, it now lives inside this.
  • DanDax1990
    Yeah I've got a case on it, The phone came today :D
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    tudj wrote:
    DanDax1990 wrote:

I've found the one's complaining about phone battery lives in general usually have the brightness on 100%, Wifi, bluetooth etc running all of the time. Be sensible :P
    Thing is, i often need all those on all the time. What you have just wrote is a common misconception. Those things only need to be turned off because the manufacturers spec extremely cheap batteries in comparison to what is actually needed to run the phone properly.

It's like fitting an HGV with the diesel tank out of a nissan micra.