Shimano Split Pins HELP

TheRollingDoorLAD
TheRollingDoorLAD Posts: 31
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Can anyone tell where I can get a split pin for a Shimano Deore M596 caliper? I lost my original one due to not bending it when going on a test ride. Not been able to find a definitive lead yet on the internet.
Part time weight weenie

Comments

• ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    petra cycles will have them i'd imagine
  • Is the split pin a universal fit or are there compatibility issues?
    Part time weight weenie
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    i'd imagine you could pick them up from elsewhere. It's just you asked specifically for a Shimano one (or so it reads). Go to your local hardware shop if you're happy to have a different one (measure hole diameter and length you need). I can't see wy it wouldn't fit
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Its just a bog standard split pin. Go to your local car parts shop and they will sell you a packet of mixed size split pins for about £1.50. Doesnt even have to be a split pin I saw some one who had lost the pin and just shoved a piece of fence wire through and bent it so it didnt come out.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Dirty-Boy
    Dirty-Boy Posts: 47
    Or if you buy a new set of Genuine Shimano brake pads, they come with the split pin, and you're bound to need new pads at some point so you'll have a set ready for future use.